Discuss Earth wiring in Belgium in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi,

I have recently bought an apartment in Brussels and I realised once I moved in that not all the sockets in the place are earthed.
Apparently before 1986 it was only a legal requirement for the Kitchen and Bathroom to have earthed sockets.
I would like to earth some of the other sockets in other rooms, mainly sockets that are on the shared walls of the bathroom and kitchen.
My question is, do I just run an earth wire from the earth in one of the kitchen sockets to one of the new sockets I want to earth, or do I have to extend the entire earth, live and neutral from the earthed socket to the new earthed socket.
The sockets I want to earth are already in place but only fed by live and neutral, will extending an earth only from a different earthed socket be sufficient to earth the new socket as it is obviously on a different circuit.

Also could I in theory earth the entire place from one earth wire or does it take a load and I would need several earth wires to be safe.

I hope I have explained the issue clearly but if anyone needs clarification please ask.

Thanks

You would need to run the earth from the consumer unit to the unearthed sockets. Are the sockets the old type without the connection for the earth? If so you are going to have to replace the socket outlets also.

You would need to run the earth from the consumer unit to the unearthed sockets. Are the sockets the old type without the connection for the earth? If so you are going to have to replace the socket outlets also.

Thanks for the reply. Strangely there is no earth in the consumer unit. There is a main breaker for this apartment next to the meter downstairs in the communal area. The earth for the bathroom and kitchen seems to be fed from a different source although the breakers for these rooms are on the consumer unit.
I had a qualified electrician come out as the consumer unit was the old style and we had to update it for conformity, he confirmed there is no earth in the consumer unit and that the earth for those rooms is coming from elsewhere.

Yes the sockets are the old style no earth pin sockets. I have new ones to replace them with earth sockets, but obviously don't want to do that until there is an earth.

Reply to Earth wiring in Belgium in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net