Discuss Earthing a back box in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

With regarding the backing box presumably this is to carry away fault current under fault because this is a device likely to become live yet Cable tray isn't Exposed or Extraneous conductive part but SWA is - basically it's all unclear and shouldn't require hours of research and contradictory advice.
It got silly in the 90's,cant remember the edition of IEE regs, you were throwing G/Y everywhere, if you stood still too long would of got one attached to your ankle.

It got silly in the 90's,cant remember the edition of IEE regs, you were throwing G/Y everywhere, if you stood still too long would of got one attached to your ankle.
And they never made that any clearer just relied on others to set it straight not very good is it.

Sorry just letting of steam but yeah I think they need to pull there finger out.

with respect that's like saying Hieroglyphics aren't unclear people just don't understand them
and if that is the case they need to be writen in a clear manner, I would argue that no it can't be used as evidence in court regarding this subject because quite simply no one understands it and saying well I understand it - I don't think is acceptable, being careful what I say here but quite simply it's not safe, and maybe put people at risk on this one subject.

They are written in clear precise English, the problem is people dont understand the correct use of words in a British standard when compared to their use in popular culture.

Are you sure you are looking for clarification and not just a 'paint by numbers' type explanation? Too many people want to have everything laid out in simple picture instructions instead of actually being able to think these days.

They are written in clear precise English, the problem is people dont understand the correct use of words in a British standard when compared to their use in popular culture.

Are you sure you are looking for clarification and not just a 'paint by numbers' type explanation? Too many people want to have everything laid out in simple picture instructions instead of actually being able to think these days.
Your failing to take into account that I have pointed out the hundreds of Requests online for clarification on the subject the contradictory views like the BS7671 you fail - just like all the the unnecessary Bonding that has taken place that has just been pointed out - no this is very unclear and NOT good practise.

I'm sure I read somewhere recently... that judges have changed the question to the jury from "beyond reasonable doubt" to "are you certain that you're sure".... due to lack of understanding.

BS7671 is a standard. It's not law and it's not an instruction manual on how to install wiring. It's a framework, based on science and engineering, that someone skilled in the craft can use to validate design and installation methods without having to work every parameter out from first principles, and to help achieve standardisation from one installation to another.

The rules of football don't tell you how to play good football, only the essential do's and dont's to ensure a fair game. Considerable skill is required of the players to develop optimum game play within those rules, as the rules cannot dictate what each player must do in each situation. The same is true of electrical work.

BS7671 is a standard. It's not law
The rules of football don't tell you how to play good football, only the essential do's and dont's to ensure a fair game. Considerable skill is required of the players to develop optimum game play within those rules, as the rules cannot dictate what each player must do in each situation. The same is true of electrical work.
Nice comparison.
Maybe we should have a card system with bans/suspensions resulting. Just imagine, with some of the fouls committed,;) not mentioning the dissent issues.
Mind you, there'd always be those trying to make a quick fortune charging for fast track referees' courses.

[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
Just to add to the discussion, the Best Practice Guide #4 (5th edition) has:

Non-compliances with the current edition of BS 7671 that do not give rise to danger and do not require reporting:
  • Absence of a reliable earth connection to a recessed metallic back box of an insulated accessory, such as where there is no ‘earthing tail’ connecting the earthing terminal of the accessory to the box, and the box does not have a fixed lug that comes into contact with an earthed eyelet on the accessory

Does that mean a socket or switch screwed to a metal back box without an earth tail needs a tag on it saying "Safety Electrical Connection Do Not Remove"? Please don't answer that. LOL

Reply to Earthing a back box in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock