Discuss earthing a metal junction box? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
my father recently bought a house and it has an ancient consumer unit fitted, next to the unit is a metal junction box which all the cables pass into and they are joined what i assume is the original wiring, all i can assume is that the consumer unit has been moved over and so the wires have been extended, now the question is, should the metal junction box be earthed?

and, if so how should it be done?

the junction box is about 6" square 2" deep, screwed to the plasterboard in a cupboard, the "Original" cables come through the back of it and the new ones come out through compression glands

Yes metal junction boxes should be connected to earth.
Have you looked inside the box to see is it is connected to earth? If DIN rail connectors have been used then the earth connection may have automatically been made via the earth connectors on the rail.

As above, can you post pictures of the junction box with lid on and lid off? Obviously taking care when the lid is off.

my father recently bought a house and it has an ancient consumer unit fitted, next to the unit is a metal junction box which all the cables pass into and they are joined what i assume is the original wiring, all i can assume is that the consumer unit has been moved over and so the wires have been extended, now the question is, should the metal junction box be earthed?

and, if so how should it be done?

the junction box is about 6" square 2" deep, screwed to the plasterboard in a cupboard, the "Original" cables come through the back of it and the new ones come out through compression glands
It seems as though you have done some serious investigations so far, I am wondering why?
Serious question, are you in the trade or just curious?

If you have a din rail in the box that is connected electrically to the box and it is not currently earthed then you could easily earth the box by using an earth terminal block and connecting the terminal to earth.
Alternatively you could connect an earth bar into the box, and connect an earth cable, so long as it was making good electrical connection, but this might require removing the box from the wall.
Probably easier to screw an earth terminal into the side of the box and run your earth connection from there, or you could just use a nut bolt and washers for your terminal!

I followed the link to earth terminal, above, and the adverts said "you may also need..."
1.a double socket
2. a bulkhead light
3. a storage heater
4. some 2.5 t&e...
might have been a good plan to suggest getting some of that wire with the green/yellow insulation...
and now I am going to be bombarded with adverts on my sidebar, dammit! When will I learn? GRR..

I followed the link to earth terminal, above, and the adverts said "you may also need..."
1.a double socket
2. a bulkhead light
3. a storage heater
4. some 2.5 t&e...
might have been a good plan to suggest getting some of that wire with the green/yellow insulation...
and now I am going to be bombarded with adverts on my sidebar, dammit! When will I learn? GRR..
It'll be ------ and Penis Enlargements next.........

1.a double socket
2. a bulkhead light
3. a storage heater
4. some 2.5 t&e...
Never click on links, you never know what deranged idiot has posted them!

How did we get here from "Earthing a metal junction box"?
I could scroll back, but I'm doing my nails...
Don't worry. I was listening to the radio phone-in this morning, and there was a call from a xxxxx called "Ugla" (honestly). She/he/?? was a gender neutral transgressing dude who didn't know if she/he was a he/she or if it was Sunday Monday or bank holiday Wednesday. I think the only hope would be to fill in a Facebook profiling test and see what came back. Just make sure they have a George Cross on them and we will let you in when the day of reckoning arrives.

I met her in a club down in old Soho...
...Lola

Anyone under 50 please ignore!

I'm 50 and that has flown right over my head.
Was she good at earthing metal junction boxes?

Reply to earthing a metal junction box? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net