Discuss Earthing arrangement in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Is anyone able to clarify with me how i can work out what earthing arrangement i have on site.

Supply comes into one of our motor switch rooms from an 11kv to LV transformer located directly outside. I can see 4 big copper bars (3phases and neutral) coming in which will then feed off to the Motor panels. There is an earth bar at the other side of the room which has various large earth cables connected.

There is one earth cable larger than the rest which i assume is the earthing supply cable and then the other slightly smaller ones i have traced which go to some of the bigger motors we have (100kw+).

Speaking to a few of the other guys (not electrical) and they said there are various earth spikes all over the site (may or may not be lightening protection). So would it be possible for our entire plant to be a TT or is it more likely that earth is derived from the neutral point of the hv transformer. Or is there an easy way to work this out

Thanks

Is anyone able to clarify with me how i can work out what earthing arrangement i have on site.

Supply comes into one of our motor switch rooms from an 11kv to LV transformer located directly outside. I can see 4 big copper bars (3phases and neutral) coming in which will then feed off to the Motor panels. There is an earth bar at the other side of the room which has various large earth cables connected.

There is one earth cable larger than the rest which i assume is the earthing supply cable and then the other slightly smaller ones i have traced which go to some of the bigger motors we have (100kw+).

Speaking to a few of the other guys (not electrical) and they said there are various earth spikes all over the site (may or may not be lightening protection). So would it be possible for our entire plant to be a TT or is it more likely that earth is derived from the neutral point of the hv transformer. Or is there an easy way to work this out

Thanks
It is the transformer earth. (at the mains position)

sounds like TN-S......…..(five words again)

^^ Agree with the above. TNS. There will be a N>E link somewhere.

There will also be rods to reference the transformer star point to ground. (This is not TT).

Unless the star point is linked to the HV earthing system. However this isn't very common.

Thanks
Dave you mention that you had a neutral bar in the gear what is all the ground cables connected to

Reply to Earthing arrangement in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock