Discuss Earthing Arrangements ? in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I'm wiring up a wooden cabin and a double decker bus (been donated) for a local school.

I've ran 2 x 10mm swa cables from the local 3 phase consumer unit to the underground trench to the bus and cabin.

The question is would you make the Bus supply TT and the cabin (all wooden) and extension of the PME supply.

The bus is parked on a concrete base and is to used as an classroom extension, so socket and lights with a electrical heater.
The wooden cabin is going to be used as a library, so just a light,heater and a couple of sockets.

They are both about 20mtrs from the school building and 50mtrs (overall) from the consumer unit.

Any help or advice would be appreciated

what is the current earthing arrangement in the school?

TT the bus, the wood cabin can be on TNC-S or put it on the TT if that's easier,

all that will on the circuits would 1 lighting circuit feeding a led 5 ft fitting, a couple of double sockets feeding a computer,printer and a 3rd circuit feeding a 2kw heater
The bus - a lighting circuit (LED fittings) , a heater and a couple of sockets to feed small science equipment

all that will on the circuits would 1 lighting circuit feeding a led 5 ft fitting, a couple of double sockets feeding a computer,printer and a 3rd circuit feeding a 2kw heater
The bus - a lighting circuit (LED fittings) , a heater and a couple of sockets to feed small science equipment

What size ocpd are you using for the submains? What level of selectivity are you looking to achieve here?

Why do you think one should be on a TT and not the other?
What do you understand as being the reason for creating a seperating earthing system for an outbuilding?

Before we can agree on the correct earthing configuration, we will have to agree on whether a stationary bus is a building or a vehicle...

Volt drop is calculated from the source to the extremety of any circuit. The submain needs to take into consideration the drop after its point of connection hence 2% is often used as a guide allowing a further 1% for lighting and 3% for power.

Before we can agree on the correct earthing configuration, we will have to agree on whether a stationary bus is a building or a vehicle...

I would always consider the earthing of any structure,sat on rubber,as worth considering.
I do know of a pal,who now considers this,every time his feet straddle the gap between his metal step,and his previously unsuitably earthed butty van ?

Electrically the bus is the same as a caravan/motorhome. I would supply a socket pillar adjacent to the bus and supply the bus via a plug and flexible lead.
Apply the regs as per the special locations.

Reply to Earthing Arrangements ? in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net