Discuss Earthing equation 3P 100A in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi guys

I carried out an EICR a while back on a property with 3P 100A incomer and it only had a 16mm earth. I thought this was undersized, I made contact with the local DNO and had 2 replies, one said it was fine, the other said it should be 25mm.

Im trying to do the adiabatic equation for it, but its so long since I did one of these I want to ensure im getting it right.

S=(⎷(I2t))/k

so I being the possible fault current which was 2.4kA, 2400 squared is 5760000

t being the disconnection time, which for a BS88-2 at 2.4kA is 0.1

K being 143

im getting ⎷(5760000 x 0.1) = 758.95

758.95/143 = 5.3mm

5.3mm seems far too low, what have I missed?

The square root in the equation and have you doubled the PFC for 3 ph.?
Been puzzling that Vorti, not saying you are wrong can you expand a little please

what's the PEFC? ( not PSCC). that's the value you need. and what csa are the L1, L2,and L3 conductors?

16mm is more than adequate for CSA of the earthing conductor and the Adiabatic equation will confirm this.
Why do you think it’s undersized?
Also it maybe sized in accordance with table 54.7 are the tails 25mm?

Been puzzling that Vorti, not saying you are wrong can you expand a little please
I stand corrected in fact the square root has been applied, bit trigger happy there. Have been a bit quiet lately due to just moved into our new home in a new town. Lovely five bed semi Victorian villa with an old victorian built double garage in a private lane at the back. Just about got unpacked a week later. Anyway yes definitely wrong on that one.

I carried out an EICR a while back on a property with 3P 100A incomer and it only had a 16mm earth. I thought this was undersized, I made contact with the local DNO and had 2 replies, one said it was fine, the other said it should be 25mm.

5.3mm seems far too low, what have I missed?

You don't even need to do the calculation for this, just look at table 54.7 in bs7671.

Based on experience 5.3mm is the kind of size that can normally be expected from the adiabatic equation on small supplies like this.

Reply to Earthing equation 3P 100A in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock