Discuss Earthing for solar off grid system in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi All

Planning an off-grid solar system and I’m pretty confident about most of it except for one thing - earthing. I believe the inverter I will use, a Victron Phoenix 12/350, has a floating earth - so there will be 230V L-’N’, 115V L-E and 115V ’N’-E. The system will power an existing (old) installation. I can see danger arising in two ways here:

1. Single pole switching will not make equipment dead - so for example when changing a light bulb, there will still be 115V between the ’Neutral’ and Earth, even with the light switch off.

2. A ’N’ - E fault could result in an overload and hence fire, with no protective device to isolate the supply in the ’N’. (I have read that floating earth’s can pose a fire risk; presumably this is why?)

So, my proposed solutions:

1. Fit an RCD between the inverter and the existing installation: this would prevent danger no. 2 and provide a level of protection against danger no. 1

2. Connect the earth from the installation to the neutral of the inverter and an earth spike for reference earth, leaving the floating earth from the inverter not connected to anything. To my mind this would constitute a TN-S system with reference earth.

So my questions:

1. Will my proposed solution work and be safe? (Assuming I get everything else right as well.)

2. Have I missed any other safety issues/pitfalls.

Please bear in mind when answering:

- The existing installation will, in practice, have its earth connected to the mass of earth via the bonding to the water supply, though I am aware that this cannot be relied upon for earthing.

- I am aware that the 350W inverter will be very limiting in terms of what loads can be supplied.

Finally, I’m unsure whether to reference earth the DC system negative (PV, batteries, etc. and associated wiring). I don’t plan to earth the array frame as lighting strikes are very unlikely. Any suggestions?

Thanks for reading to the end!

I've moved this to the renewable energy part of the forum where the inverter wizards hang out so hopefully you'll get better advice.

Reply to Earthing for solar off grid system in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock