Discuss Earthing gas pipe warehouse in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi guys
I am working in a warehouse where there is an inactive gas pipe and disconnected gas meter. The DB which has been upgraded now is on the other side of the warehouse. My question is does the pipe need to be bonded? Incoming metal gas pipe I believe is 28mm. Distance from that pipe to DB earth terminal is about 30m hence my question.
Thanks for any reply’sC9DA2F41-7CDC-4904-8203-1EF63096263A.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes it does…. If it’s a metal incoming pipe, which it looks like.
Was it bonded before the DB was moved?

There will still be gas up to the meter, so it’s highly feasible that the building can still use gas… I’d say it’s still an active service.

A further question could be, do you equipotential bond between the gas pipe with its main bonding, and the structure… which will also have a main bond.

There will still be gas up to the meter, so it’s highly feasible that the building can still use gas… I’d say it’s still an active service.

A further question could be, do you equipotential bond between the gas pipe with its main bonding, and the structure… which will also have a main bond.
It was bonded before but they strip all the cables when they refurbished. There is no outlet pipe from the meter. Shall I then clamp 60cm from of the meter on inlet metal pipe? Main earth in DB is 16mm so I guess I can run 10mm earth cable to bond that? They not going to use the gas as they have all electric now (heaters etc.)

Hi guys
I am working in a warehouse where there is an inactive gas pipe and disconnected gas meter. The DB which has been upgraded now is on the other side of the warehouse. My question is does the pipe need to be bonded? Incoming metal gas pipe I believe is 28mm. Distance from that pipe to DB earth terminal is about 30m hence my question.
Thanks for any reply’sView attachment 107473

Hi guys
Thanks for any reply’sView attachment 107473
Unfortunately you do need to bond a metal gas pipe even if it's not used - unless you can prove with an insulation tester that it does not introduce earth potential into the property. (It probably does, but it looks like it may be ducted so who knows). Alternatively, you can permanently box it in with insulating material, if it can't be touched, there is no risk.

Reply to Earthing gas pipe warehouse in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net