Discuss Earthing of exposed metal parts in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

K

Kensprint

I am a new member an have what I think is an interesting question.I have been given a spec for an product which will be installed outdoors and be accessed by the public. The installation requires the fitment of 4x heater lamps. The lamps are connected to 230v ac by means of a plastic junction box to which 4x sockets are secured by 8 x M3 metal screws. There are also 4xM8 bolts securing a bracket to the box. The bracket is held onto a powder coated aluminium spar by compression, thus there is no earthing of the part. As Far as I am concerned all of the exposed metal parts should be earthed. Am I correct? If so and as it is a manufactured product. What are the correct regulations which should have been followed in manufacture.

I look forward to your thoughts

a drawing would help:)
so we are talking about 4 heaters plugging into an adaptable box which is fixed onto structual metal
as this is a circuit outdoors supplying sockets it would be on an rcd and 0.4 seconds

if the metal work is'nt part of the installation then its extraneous
in the 16th reg 413-02-02 requires exposed metallic structural parts to be have an equipotential bond same as gas/ water /air con.......
table 54h gives csa of equi bond conductors
hope this helps and im not off track completly

It wuld be helpfull to know more about it

When you say 'installed' does it come with a lead already attatched? And if not does it have a connector block? Look at the connector block and see if its got an earth terminal

Also the manufacturer should state if its Class 1 or Class 2. If its class 2 it will have the double insulated symbol (square within a square) if it doesnt have this its class one andshould be earthed

The plastc junction box is on a lead which runs down the column of the item. This lead should be connected at within a sleeve to the mains supply from the premises. Inside the junction box there is 32A Chocolate block connectors. Phase, neutral and earth are connected into this connector block and from it to the heater sockets. No attempt has been made to earth the various screws and bolts which are located inside the junction box and pass through it to be exposed outwith it. The connector block is not secured within the box. My concern is that if the phase wire became detached from the connector block or from one of the heater sockets it could easily make contact with one of the screws or bolts rendering them live and a danger to any member of the public who touched them inadvertently.

My past experience is in the manufacture of laboratory instruments. Any eposed metal part be it casework, protruding screws etc needed to be earthed.

Sorry I have no picture

Reply to Earthing of exposed metal parts in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock