Discuss Earthing problem in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Bluenose1940

-
DIY
Reaction score
Hello folks,

I have been using a BUZZIT socket Tester around my house today and, I have found that I am getting a fault reading of 'no earth' from it.

I have had an extension built a few years ago and a new ring main was installed for that. When I did the check on those sockets they were all A OK.

However, when I came to check the sockets on the original ring main I had a fault reading on each one of them.

My question is, is there a process that a DIY'er could follow to trace the fault or is this a job for a qualified electrician?

Many thanks.

Apart from a visual inspection of the incoming supply and associated earth cables there's not a lot you can do.

Those testers can often give false results however it would be prudent to get a local electrician in to carry out a couple of tests to be certain, won't take long and shouldn't cost the earth.

It is probably something best done by an electrician (or someone who already has the suitable equipment - an earth fault loop impedance tester). If you find a local one it should only take a few minutes to confirm or rule out an earthing issue.

There is only so much you can do with one of the socket testers and they are not always accurate.

The only thing you could do with your tester if you haven't already is to check every socket on the affected circuit to confirm if the tester displays the same 'fault' at every socket.

If all sockets are genuinely missing an earth, then it would certainly need fixing by an electrician, though it may be as simple as a cable not connected properly in the fusebox, so isn't automatically an expensive fix.

While those socket testers are not great for various reasons, if they are telling you there is no earth it is serious as even a poor earth connection is usually flagged as "OK". Only the fancier ones like this warn you of a high, but still connected, impedance:
https://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/kewtech-loopcheck-107-advanced-plug-in-socket-tester/4670j

Another concern is an open earth on more than one socket on a ring is quite unusual as it takes more than one bad connection due to the looped nature of a ring. So it is definitely something to be checked and fixed.

If you are competent at DIY and able to fully isolate the power (e.g. switch off whole board) you can check for obvious bad connections at the points when you have good and then bad sockets readings (as the ring would loop from socket to socket, so probably the closest ones going from good to bad will have the opens).

But it is faster & safer simply to get a professional in, they are in a position to do further tests to check the ring continuity and for any poor connections using a low resistance meter on the L & N as well.

Thank you for your input chaps, very much appreciated. I have an electrician coming on Monday to do the necessary. Hopefully I won't end up with a big bill but, better safe than sorry as they say. Thanks again.
Good luck - please do update us either way, as it may assist someone else - and we like to hear the resolution of issues like this.

The testing itself shouldn't be expensive or take long, and don't be afraid to ask for a written quote specifying what needs doing if it seems excessive.

There are plenty of electrical installations out there that 'work' but are not safe, so it's always better to find and fix faults before they become a danger.

Right then folks, the electrician has just been and after a process of 'Track and Trace'(;)) they found that the earth wire had been cut in one of the original sockets. Fortunately there was sufficient cable accessible to enable him to strip back and fit a WAGO and all is now fine.
Thanks again to all for the valued input.
Thanks for letting us know. Glad it was something relatively simple to fix!

The socket tester has probably paid for itself now, as it managed to detect a potentially dangerous situation before a fault occurred.

The socket tester has probably paid for itself now, as it managed to detect a potentially dangerous situation before a fault occurred.
Very much so!

While on this forum the socket testers get a bit of a hard time as they don't really tell you something is safe, when they do flag a fault it is worth every penny and more as they are telling you it is unsafe. While a professional would have a MFT to hand for checking stuff (and the knowledge to use it) these testers are still valuable for DIY and householders as they are so much better than nothing at all.

Sounds OK...but were you provided with a completion certificate when you had the extension built.
I would imagine that earth wire was broken rather than 'cut'.
Glad it's OK for you but that certificate's important.

Good luck - please do update us either way, as it may assist someone else - and we like to hear the resolution of issues like this.

The testing itself shouldn't be expensive or take long, and don't be afraid to ask for a written quote specifying what needs doing if it seems excessive.

There are plenty of electrical installations out there that 'work' but are not safe, so it's always better to find and fix faults before they become a danger.
Sounds OK...but were you provided with a completion certificate when you had the extension built.
I would imagine that earth wire was broken rather than 'cut'.
Glad it's OK for you but that certificate's important.
The fault was in an original socket, i.e. one that was installed when the property was built. I do have a certificate for all of the work that was done when the extension was added.

Reply to Earthing problem in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net