Discuss Earthing question - three phase into main building, then single phase to EV charger in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi there, new to the forum and in final stages of completing C&G level 3; need to complete design project to complete. Am struggling to get my head around how to draw up correct circuit diagram showing EF Loop path for EV charger where initial supply is described as 'three phase TNCS' feeding to seperate dist board for single phase and TT earthing arrangement for EV charger. I can draw up the three phase supply, three phase dist board with 3 seperate busbars for each of the phase subcircuits. I can draw the connection to a seperate sub dist board for the EV charger. It's the earthing arrangement that I'm confused about; I understand I have to use an earth electrode for the EV charger so that it is isolated from anything else, I'll attach a sketch of what I've done so far. Has anyone tackled anything similar?Earthing question - three phase into main building, then single phase to EV charger 20220712_133623 - EletriciansForums.net

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome. I think you are very close!
I agree with your earth fault path arrows.

To me, what is missing from the diagram is showing where the supplier earthing stops.
As each cable needs a CPC, you'll typically end up with the CPC/Armour connected one end to the supplier earthing, and the far end terminated in a plastic enclosure with the CPC not connected to anything. TT earthing starts from that point onwards.

Does that answer your question?

Hi Tim thanks for taking time to reply...yes I agree. I did a bit more research and head scratching and came up with a second version of my diagram (attached) which I think has just about everything on it ...apart from a CPC connection for the second dist board to earth..which I forgot to draw in. This assumes the second single phase board is not dedicated to serving the EV charger alone but might offer power for lighting circuits etc as well. The other item I guess I could have included would be some kind of surge protection to allow for the variable charge rate of the EV charger but I was assuming I had dealt with that risk with a type B RCD or RCBO.
on reflection I think I was getting confused in my first diagram with the idea of a common neutral bar and a MET. My courses so far have mainly focused on single phase with limited 3 phase testing so the layouts look unfamiliar...but hopefully with practice things will get easier. cheers

Attachments

• Earthing question - three phase into main building, then single phase to EV charger 20220713_120839 - EletriciansForums.net
    20220713_120839.jpg
    335.4 KB · Views: 34
Hi Tim thanks for taking time to reply...yes I agree. I did a bit more research and head scratching and came up with a second version of my diagram (attached) which I think has just about everything on it ...apart from a CPC connection for the second dist board to earth..which I forgot to draw in. This assumes the second single phase board is not dedicated to serving the EV charger alone but might offer power for lighting circuits etc as well. The other item I guess I could have included would be some kind of surge protection to allow for the variable charge rate of the EV charger but I was assuming I had dealt with that risk with a type B RCD or RCBO.
on reflection I think I was getting confused in my first diagram with the idea of a common neutral bar and a MET. My courses so far have mainly focused on single phase with limited 3 phase testing so the layouts look unfamiliar...but hopefully with practice things will get easier. cheers
I liked very much the clarity, detail and labeling of your electrical diagram.

I liked very much the clarity, detail and labeling of your electrical diagram.
thanks ! - I find it easier to understand if I can draw something that approximates what I would actually see in real life in terms of component parts. I still have to be careful with terminology though, especially around earthing. MET, CPC, equipotential bonding, PEN etc. I have to think carefully what each means / is referring to. I'm looking forward to being in a position to put this into practice because I know from other studies that then things will become more familiar and easier to comprehend.

thanks ! - I find it easier to understand if I can draw something that approximates what I would actually see in real life in terms of component parts. I still have to be careful with terminology though, especially around earthing. MET, CPC, equipotential bonding, PEN etc. I have to think carefully what each means / is referring to. I'm looking forward to being in a position to put this into practice because I know from other studies that then things will become more familiar and easier to comprehend.
I'm very similar mentally.

When faced with a tricky fault I usually break out the crayons, it helps to visualise problems.

Reply to Earthing question - three phase into main building, then single phase to EV charger in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock