• IMPORTANT: The thread you're reading / posting in, could be in a DIY electrical advice area. Please be aware of your local laws. You're not allowed to provide advice to, or seek advice from, DIYers and fellow professionals in some States, Countries, Countys etc with regards to some types of electrical installations or repairs. Keep that in mind. If it's against the law where you are - always get a professional electrician in to carry out the works instead of doing it yourself. The forum will not be held responsible for any outcome of any applications of any advice sought from it.
Wetroom Store - Network Wetroom Suppliers
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members

Discuss Earthing required? MR16 halogen to GU10 LED conversion in the DIY Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:  American Electrical Advice Forum

Hello, I am converting my ceiling downlighters to LED. The old MR16 50W halogen bulbs come with a 12v transformer. I plan to cut the LV cable just before the transformer, then strip it and wire it into the new GU10 LED lamp holder. This means the new GU10 lamp holder will not be earthed. Looking at older post, my understanding so far is that in principle, the cpc should run to the lamp holder, but that the GU10 lamp holder that I use, which is enclosed, needs no earthing. Is this correct or should I use a new LEV cable between the junction box and the lamp holder and earth the new lamp holder?

Before-After.JPG

D

Deleted member 26818

You must be logged in to see the message.

Midwest

-
Arms
Esteemed

Last edited:

Midwest

-
Arms
Esteemed

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Midwest

-
Arms
Esteemed

Reply to Earthing required? MR16 halogen to GU10 LED conversion in the DIY Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Aico 3000 Range
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members
Top Bottom