Discuss Earthing required? MR16 halogen to GU10 LED conversion in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hello, I am converting my ceiling downlighters to LED. The old MR16 50W halogen bulbs come with a 12v transformer. I plan to cut the LV cable just before the transformer, then strip it and wire it into the new GU10 LED lamp holder. This means the new GU10 lamp holder will not be earthed. Looking at older post, my understanding so far is that in principle, the cpc should run to the lamp holder, but that the GU10 lamp holder that I use, which is enclosed, needs no earthing. Is this correct or should I use a new LEV cable between the junction box and the lamp holder and earth the new lamp holder?

Earthing required? MR16 halogen to GU10 LED conversion Before-After.JPG - EletriciansForums.net

cpc is fine as in the 2nd pic. youdon't need to earth the "brass" bit

That black cable looks like 2 core.
Think that fly lead may be pre made and needs connecting to.

Didn’t think anybody still made those fittings, let alone somebody installing them. :)

Indeed, the black cable is "LV" only. My question could be reframed as "should there be a connection between the earthing on the lamp holder and the earthing that goes into the junction box?

With those type of fittings, the metal bracket (with the terminations), should clip onto the metal bezel (by the spring clip). The earth terminal on the metal bracket would then have continuity (e.g. 'earth' the bezel). You would need to check the manufactures instructions. A lot of these types of down lights are manufactured as Class 2, and the 'earth terminal' is provided by the manufacturer to safely terminate (or park to use a term) the fixed wiring cpc (earth wire).

PS Are you really sure you want to use these cheapo types of luminaires? You can get something else far more attractive, for not a lot more.

Last edited:
The new lamp holder may be class 2 rated but the lamp isn't therefore the metal light fitting should be earthed.
The existing fittings are not fire rated so for a little more it may pay to upgrade the lot to F/R 230v GU10's, already earthed, maybe just need to enlarge the hole!

Thanks a lot, I get it. What alternative lamp holder do you suggest?

I would replace the black 2 core cable (if that’s what it is), and replace with 3 core cable.

You could consider a similar technology with the sealed units now offered by some manufacturers with an extended guarantee.

Doubtless some other members will say the exact same thing, almost word for word. ;)

Replace them with an enlite E5 or Luceco F type fitting, converting them may be cheap but the all in one LED units are in my view a better solution. The Luceco are very easy to wire up but the E5's from forum sponsor electrical2go are hard to beat value wise!

The problem with all in one units is that when they fail a matching replacement will probably be no longer available. Changing the sockets to GU10 is in my opinion the best option.

NB MR16 means multifaceted reflector 16 eights inch diameter. It is nothing to do with the base or voltage. Many GU10s are in fact MR16.

Reply to Earthing required? MR16 halogen to GU10 LED conversion in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock