Discuss Earthing selv lights in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Anders

-
Reaction score
Hi guys.
If the transformer for selv lighting is actually sitting in the light fitting (i.e. A big bugger with multiple bulbs), should the fitting be earthed?

Thank you telectrix. Or, in theory, could I cut a large hole in the ceiling and shove the transformer up there, away from the light fitting ? The cpc has been cut back.

Thank you telectrix. Or, in theory, could I cut a large hole in the ceiling and shove the transformer up there, DON'T BE SILLY. away from the light fitting ? The cpc has been cut back.
repair cable then. might be some slack above ceiling.

It is, yes. My concern is that with the transformer sitting in the fitting there is 240v present there and the outer sheathing has been stripped back.

It is, yes. My concern is that with the transformer sitting in the fitting there is 240v present there and the outer sheathing has been stripped back.

The cabling needs to be installed correctly. Adding an earth does not mitigate against this.

Why is it silly telectrix? Isn't that how downlighting is fitted?
SO. What type of enclosure would you fit the transformer into?

If the fitting was to be earthed, then it's no longer SELV I thought. That may not matter here, just saying.

My bad, start again. Loop in, out plus switch all sticking out of the ceiling, in terminal block and wired to enclosed terminal transformer. The base of the light fitting is big, 12inches square and 3 inches deep. So all this gubbins sits there nicely and the fitting can be placed over the whole shabang and screwed to the ceiling thus introducing 240v to close proximity to the unearthed metal Class 2 light. So, I'm thinking Ashleigh Jb up into ceiling void, transformer also, therefore only 12v coming out of the ceiling void, earth sleeved andd terminated in fitting, but not connected.

why not pull all cables back into void. connect up with all cpc's in wagos in a JB in void, with a T/E drop to the fitting?

If you Earth something then it sure as hell isn't SELV. (The whole point of SELV is that it is separated from Earth.)

The transformer may well be Class I though (not SELV!). The luminaire may be intended to be SELV but then you shouldn't be introducing a cpc into it!

Reply to Earthing selv lights in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock