Discuss Earthing sockets in Bulgaria in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
I am about to install new wiring for a kitchen here in Bulgaria. I will be using a 2.5 ring final circuit for the sockets and 6 mm radial for the cooker. Wiring to sockets here in Bulgaria is done by using twin cable (no earth line). The earthing is done by connecting the earth and neutral point together on each socket. In effect this becomes a TN-CS system of earthing. My question is would it be better to use twin and earth cable and connect the earth to the neutral block at the consumer unit?
Cheers, Steve

I am not sure the ring final is recognised in Bulgaria. You would have to fuse it at 16A in the CU in order to protect the sockets, so what's the point? Why not 16A radials?

Providing an earth at a socket using the neutral is TN-C, not TN-C-S. I.e. the neutral and earth are Combined all the way to the end of the circuit, rather than Combined for part of the way and then Separate.

Because of the likelihood of exposed metalwork becoming live in the event of the combined neutral-earth conductor being broken, the fewer joints there are in it, the better. I would be much happier running a separate earth conductor back to the CU, which makes it almost a standard TN-C-S system.

E2A, I see the value of a ring, or at least a duplicated CNE conductor, on a TN-C system! But, better to not to have a CNE in the final at all. What do the regs say?

Last edited:
I am not sure the ring final is recognised in Bulgaria. You would have to fuse it at 16A in the CU in order to protect the sockets, so what's the point? Why not 16A radials?

Providing an earth at a socket using the neutral is TN-C, not TN-C-S. I.e. the neutral and earth are Combined all the way to the end of the circuit, rather than Combined for part of the way and then Separate.

Because of the likelihood of exposed metalwork becoming live in the event of the combined neutral-earth conductor being broken, the fewer joints there are in it, the better. I would be much happier running a separate earth conductor back to the CU, which makes it almost a standard TN-C-S system.

E2A, I see the value of a ring, or at least a duplicated CNE conductor, on a TN-C system! But, better to not to have a CNE in the final at all. What do the regs say?
The local Regs Ishould think are the ones you are referring to, I hope

This was typical in the USSR and the practice was brought over to satellite countries.

By all means run new twin and earth if you can. I wouldn't even think twice converting a TN-C system to TN-C-S. A separate earth back to the consumer unit is also good.

A ring is a bad idea as schuko plugs are not fused.

Thanks Lucien, Pete and Cookie for your helpful posts. I am leaning now towards putting in 2 radials 2.5 twin and earth each with a 20 amp mcb thus splitting the kitchen load. This would avoid the potential problem of a ring not meeting Bulgarian standards.I have thought about using a single 4mm radial, but as the sockets available here are so flimsy and the connection points quite small, would make it difficult! Do comment further if you think of a better option. I am attaching 2 pictures of the work from a qualified Bulgarian electrician. He joined onto an existing 2.5 radial with the intension of conecting an 8kw cooker plus sockets. On the same circuit he had already attached a 3kw water heater!! Note the nails used to pin the cable to the wall!! Cheers, SteveEarthing sockets in Bulgaria IMG_20190626_115217 - EletriciansForums.netEarthing sockets in Bulgaria IMG_20190626_115239 - EletriciansForums.net

Please check the local regs as to the maximum permitted MCB size. It might be 16A as it protects the appliance flexes too, unlike the UK where the plug fuse is responsible for that.

In the UK we used to have Maconite cable that was fixed by nailing through a web in the middle. In Europe there is NYIF-J, popular in German derived installation practice aka 'Stegleitung' etc. The Bulgarian guy is just using the same method with whatever cable he can get!

Last edited:
20 amp MCBs and schuko sockets is normal practice in many parts of Europe (like France for example), and 20amp 120 volt circuits are mandated in US Kitchens and Laundry rooms. So IMO there is no risk using a 20amp MCB.

BTW, don't nail through the wire. That is not a good idea.

Reply to Earthing sockets in Bulgaria in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock