Discuss Earthing spike for upper Flat via flat ground floor in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Blake1

DIY
Reaction score
Two flats, I live on ground floor, neighbours have just moved out from upper floor flat, lived there over 20 years. Spoke to new owner last weekend about possible issue with electricity could they check empty flat. Issue concerns high electricity bill, whereas previous owner paid half for their electricity, plus they had gas. The new owner had someone check electricity but they have not said either way if they detect a fault, what they have said is that the upper flat is not earthed, and now want us to agree to them installing earthing spike back of our property, they could also put one in for lower flat. I am a little concerned as I know the previous owner never had any issue with their electricity or gas connection. Grateful for any advice concerning this matter.

We like pictures. Can you post a photo that shows the intake with the suppliers fuse, metering etc. Perhaps also the consumer unit / fuse box while you are at it. Ideally one for each flat, but appreciate you might not have access to the upstairs flat.

Reactions: DPG
Hi, thanks for your reply, no I don't have access to upper flat, it is currently empty, do not know when owner next there. I have added two photos of my meter.

Attachments

• 20220619_212643.jpg
    513.9 KB · Views: 47
  • 20220619_212818.jpg
    141.4 KB · Views: 43
It doesn’t look like you’ve got an earth either… not saying there isn’t one, but it needs checked over by an electrician.
The meter looks fairly modern, so I wonder why it was put in without an earth??

The earth wire is a safety feature and everything would be working as normal, until there was a fault… then something that should be earthed becomes live and doesn’t blow a fuse… because there’s no earth.

Something like your kitchen sink.

It’s dangerous not to have an earth.

If upstairs is rented, do you rent too? From same landlord?
They should have an EICR done on the property which would pick up on these things.

Hi, thanks for your reply. we were not aware of no earth in the property, having spoken to the previous owner last night of the upper flat, they also were not aware of having no earthing in their flat, and we have all occupied the property for over 20 years. The meter is fairly modern was changed about 10 - 15 year ago. The new owner upstairs had an electrician check the property last week, they want to install new earthing spike back of our property for the upper flat, they will also install one for us ground floor. From your reply it appears we also have no earth, I am just glad to clarify the situation so the property is safer to live in.

We’re not saying there is no earth for definite in your flat…. But it needs checked.

An earth spike can be put in for the upstairs flat, run down the external wall, no need to come into your flat unless they’re doing yours as well.

Get it checked, and if it is found that you have no earth, have a word with your supplier as to why it wasn’t noticed when meter was changed.

It doesn’t look like you’ve got an earth either… not saying there isn’t one, but it needs checked over by an electrician.
The meter looks fairly modern, so I wonder why it was put in without an earth??

The earth wire is a safety feature and everything would be working as normal, until there was a fault… then something that should be earthed becomes live and doesn’t blow a fuse… because there’s no earth.

Something like your kitchen sink.

It’s dangerous not to have an earth.

If upstairs is rented, do you rent too? From same landlord?
They should have an EICR done on the property which would pick up on these things.
There’re not gonna see that from they van littlespark 😂

Clever if they can do a meter change from the van….. Thought that was just EICR drive by.

I would be thinking of a new consumer unit myself. Rewirable fuses are so retro 1980’s

I recently purchased a socket tester and thought I would try it out, I have tested most sockets and so far all lights are green. So the sockets suggest there is earthing, however, fuse box, meter area shows no earth. Obviously if there is earthing then the neighbour does not need to install any here. Or is the socket earth separate from the main fuse box and meter?

Attachments

• 20220623_202149.jpg
    736.4 KB · Views: 18
I recently purchased a socket tester and thought I would try it out, I have tested most sockets and so far all lights are green. So the sockets suggest there is earthing, however, fuse box, meter area shows no earth. Obviously if there is earthing then the neighbour does not need to install any here. Or is the socket earth separate from the main fuse box and meter?
What does it look like when it’s plugged in and lit up?

Honestly the socket testers are not suitable for determining if you have a reliable earth to the property. They will show all is ok if you have a water pipe attached to the earth terminal and also buried in the ground.

Reactions: DPG
We recently had a new smart meter put in and the electrician said we did have earthing. Looking out the back wall there is green yellow wire which runs in line with the fuse box via inside the wall, this he confirmed was the earth cable. It was not discussed about upstairs flat as I failed to mention on the day, however on the opposite side, back wall again there is a yellow green cable, runs down wall into ground. I have shown images here of both cable, presumably this would be upstairs earthing cable? They say they don't have any earthing so wonder what this other cable is running next to water pipe?
First 3 images here is my earthing cable right side back of flat, next 3 images is ? Earthing cable left side of flat possibly upper flat earthing?

Attachments

• 20220713_112325.jpg
    613.2 KB · Views: 7
  • 20220713_112349.jpg
    938 KB · Views: 7
  • 20220713_112407.jpg
    822.5 KB · Views: 8
  • 20220713_112433.jpg
    783.4 KB · Views: 8
  • 20220713_112519.jpg
    535.9 KB · Views: 8
  • 20220713_112450.jpg
    648.2 KB · Views: 8

Reply to Earthing spike for upper Flat via flat ground floor in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net