Discuss Earthing Stainless kitchen tables/sinks? in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

S

sixfingers

Hi carry out work for catering company and EHO has visited stores and has asked for stainless steel work ie tables/sinks, stainless cooker hoods to be correctly bonded?
I took it as they were not exposed or extraneous conductive parts that they did not require bonding? Am i right on this one or have i miseed something?
All replys greatly received thankyou!

Hi carry out work for catering company and EHO has visited stores and has asked for stainless steel work ie tables/sinks, stainless cooker hoods to be correctly bonded?
I took it as they were not exposed or extraneous conductive parts that they did not require bonding? Am i right on this one or have i miseed something?
All replys greatly received thankyou!

You're right, total ignorance of distributed touch voltages in a fault condition!

"If it's metallic, just bond it to be on the safe side" relics of the 15th edition!

Do the 22KOhm test to prove it.

had the same argument a few weeks ago. the suit said all the tables had to be bonded. i handed him my brb( which just happened to be in the van following a previous discussion ) and told him to point me to the relevant regulation.

rule of thumb. IR test between MET and metallic part. if reading is above 22kohms, no bond.

I would say it was extraneous, but would not require bonding if all circuits in area are rcd protected and main bonding is in place

I would say it was extraneous, but would not require bonding if all circuits in area are rcd protected and main bonding is in place

How is it extraneous?

If you understand the test required to prove extraneous or not then you wouldn't be saying that, it's not an 'I would say' test!

Also, when did a kitchen become a special location with additional associated requirements?

rule of thumb. IR test between MET and metallic part. if reading is above 22kohms, no bond.

got a set of flukes. where can i get a "wander" lead, so my leads are long enough to do this? thought maybe you might know the place TAR! and how did that go down handing a "suit" ur brb lmao!

Hi there IQ Electrical and also Telectrix. Without sounding too thick, will you please explain to me why the kitchen sink isn't extraneous?

I was under the impression that an 'extraneous' part was metalwork, which is not part of an electrical installation, which could become live, under fault conditions. I would rather look an absolute div and know the answer, than not ask at all.

Also, I have never come across this 'above 22kohm method. Would you mind explaining it to me, if possible and does it appear in the 17th?

for a wander lead there are several options. for IR testing, where the resistance of the wander lead is irrelevant, you could just use a drum of single, reel it out and IR. i converted a 30m mains extension reel . or you can buy a proper one for around £60.

over to you, IQ, you explain better than me. IMO, it's classed as extraneous metallic part if it can introduce an earth potential , or close to , into the area. that's the 22k rule. if under 22k to MET, tghen class it as extraneous metal part and bond it.

Last edited:
Here we have to bond the lot ie Stainless worktops say one lot of inspectors the other lot say they have to be pulled out every week for cleaning, so you can imagine what happens to my nice coiled bonds .................el ----eros

Hi there IQ Electrical and also Telectrix. Without sounding too thick, will you please explain to me why the kitchen sink isn't extraneous?

I was under the impression that an 'extraneous' part was metalwork, which is not part of an electrical installation, which could become live, under fault conditions. I would rather look an absolute div and know the answer, than not ask at all.

Also, I have never come across this 'above 22kohm method. Would you mind explaining it to me, if possible and does it appear in the 17th?

An extraneous conductive part is metalwork not part of the electrical installation liable to introduce a potential,usually earth.
It has nothing to do with the metalwork 'becoming live'.
The scenario is that under fault conditions conductive parts..(look up the def in the BRB) may experience a rise in voltage during fault conditions until the protective device clears the fault...anyone in contact with the coductive part and the introduced earth via the extraneous conductive part would get a belt.
By bonding conductive parts to extraneous conductive parts there can be no potential difference and the shock risk is reduced.
This is why main bonding is carried out at the point of entry...as the introduced earth potential is coming from externally.
In areas of increased shock risk...(special locations as defined in 7671) supplementary bonding may be required....a kitchen is not a special location so no supplementary is required.

Last edited by a moderator:
for a wander lead there are several options. for IR testing, where the resistance of the wander lead is irrelevant, you could just use a drum of single, reel it out and IR. i converted a 30m mains extension reel . or you can buy a proper one for around £60.

just had a look it seems fluke dont do one. do testers NULL these extra long leads? or do you have to subtract from your readings cheers

i subtract from readings, having measured the lead and noted it's resistance. not tried nulling as my MFT is faulty on continuity, so i use a low ohms meter without nulling facility.

they do. they got one clips on your belt.

i had metal framed bench which had sockets installed on them and there was cables running over the metal work and had electrical equiptment all over the benches so i supplementry bondes the benches to the socket circuits.

now this may not be a reg but its on my head if the frame become live and didnt opperate the circuit breaker.

so my advice would be dont look for regs etc its up to you use your experience to tell you what is safe or not, and weather you will be able to sleep at night.

This thread demonstrates that 'experience' is not what dictates the answer to the 'bond or not bond' question.

Then you get the 'if in doubt bond it' guys who have no idea of distributed touch voltages in fault conditions.

Please use the proscribed procedures to determine bonding requirements, it's pretty simple stuff!

Reply to Earthing Stainless kitchen tables/sinks? in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock