Discuss Earthing System Query in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi, just a quick question...

I’m at the stage now where I’m being pretty nosey at other people’s consumer units/supply set ups etc to further improve my understanding and recognition of the different earthing systems found in domestic properties.

The image below was taken at a member of my family’s home. I initially identified the earthing system as being TN-C-S due to the earth cable coming from the neutral side of the suppliers cut-out, but then I noticed the earth rod underneath. I’ve also noticed the heat damage to the earth cable caused by the gas fitter...

Just wondering what earthing system this would be classed as? I’ve done a bit of digging and found this could be due to the property being converted recently from TT to TN-C-S, however I’m not sure if this is the case. The term localised supplementary earth rod has also come up, but I’m too sure about this either.

Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Earthing System Query C0ED2672-AF4F-4B61-9A32-E4D58054FF9E - EletriciansForums.net

It shouldn’t be both it’s gotta be one or other.
If Tncs is on site,that’s most probably the best option

I can’t see how the connector block on the cutout is connected to the CU ? I’m guessing it connected to DNO cable sheath, but how does it get to CU? Or is it another trip to Specsavers for me?

Apologies it’s not the best photograph. From what I could see at the time, the earth cable comes from the cut out down to the terminal block you can just about see in the bottom right hand corner. From here there is a 16mm earth running to the consumer unit. The cable from the earth rod is also connected to this terminal block. There is a 10mm bonding conductor on the earth rod also - this runs to the gas pipe.

It looks like that cut-out has been upgraded to TN-C-S from TT or PME from TT however you like to put it. It seems no one thought to move the bonding cable from the rod to to the MET.

Reply to Earthing System Query in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock