Discuss Earthing to 1st floor flats in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi, I've come across this strange setup on a set of flats I'm doing work on and wondered what people think.

There are 4 flats on the 1st and 2nd floor (ground floor is a shop) with their own supply from the street. The supply enters the building from underground at the bottom of the stairs, a DNO cable supplying a 3x100a cutout, but there is also a 25mm earth coming from under the street to the MET. There is a PME sticker, then the supply goes to a big old switch. (first pic)

Then there is a 4 core SWA to a cupboard upstairs with the distribution boards in it, which feeds another 3x100a cutout. In that cutout the earth and neutral terminals are linked, and then tails as normal to the meters. (second pic)

It seems like tn-s to the first cutout then tn-c-s to the second cutout, but I don't think the SWA sheath or big switch are earthed.

Attachments

• Earthing to 1st floor flats IMG_20190607_164416 - EletriciansForums.net
    IMG_20190607_164416.jpg
    327.8 KB · Views: 57
  • Earthing to 1st floor flats IMG_20190607_164558 - EletriciansForums.net
    IMG_20190607_164558.jpg
    347.2 KB · Views: 58
Just to check, are you saying the white-coloured cable from the top of the first switch, is the same black-coloured cable entering the bottom of the second cutout? The sizes seem different, but that might just be the photos.

Are you saying - DNO cable cutout is TNS and then internally in the building the N and E are recombined? Which would not be right at all, I’d have thought.

i think they are both dno cutouts as they are before the meters, but now I'm wondering if neutral and earth are joined at both cutouts and as mattg4321 said, the earth cable is just a link to a pme plate. so I guess my question is, should the met at the first cutout be linked to the swa sheath? even though it's not really my job to do it :)

Reply to Earthing to 1st floor flats in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock