Discuss earthing with rcd in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Right here goeshad our visit from NIC inspector today and he had an interesting take on earthing requirements.

He said if a property is protected by an rcd there is no requirement for supplementary bonding OR main bonding ie 10 mm out to gas and water.

i checked my on site and it says that as long as there is MAIN bonding and RCD there is no need for supplementary.

so is this guy just mistaken?its getting to the poit your scared to challenge these guys in fear of looking like an idiot but..............

There we have it guys, the gods of our industry, the fonts of all knowledge without whom we would have no regs, no guidance and no industry standards appoint guys who talk out of their bottoms:)

You assume right mate. In your position I think I'd ring the tech helpline and tell them what their monkey, OOOPS I meant assessor, said

next thing is they'll be telling us to do away with MCBs. the great god RCD will protect us from all evils.

If all the circuits are protected by RCD's then supplementary bonding isn't required... as for no bonding to water and gas, is he real? or have the NICEIC been adapting the rules to suit themselves again??

Have to agree with biff here. I can't believe that any scheme assessor would tell you that main bonding isn't required. If you are certain that is what he said, then you need to get in touch with NIC tech support and ask why this is being advised.

I was led to believe that assessors from Elecsa and Napit were full time employed,however, Niceic assessors are only sub contract approved members supplementing their own work
Maybe this is the case,after all,one bad apple and all that

I mean Domestic installer assessments

I've never heard anything as ludicrous. I have to agree that even a NIC guy wouldn't say that....it's one of the most fundamental aspects of what we do!

i guarantee that that was what he said i was taken aback when he said it.This is the 3rd visit i have had and im starting to dread them as i get hit with new guys all the time and feel like starting over with them.im more than happy to keep myself up to date with everchanging regs etc and i feel like i do a very good job in doing so however these guys seem to make it up as they go and in lots of my own instances it depends what mood they are in.

Right here goeshad our visit from NIC inspector today and he had an interesting take on earthing requirements.

He said if a property is protected by an rcd there is no requirement for supplementary bonding OR main bonding ie 10 mm out to gas and water.

i checked my on site and it says that as long as there is MAIN bonding and RCD there is no need for supplementary.

so is this guy just mistaken?its getting to the poit your scared to challenge these guys in fear of looking like an idiot but..............

IMO I believe you should of challanged the assessor there and then asking Him/Her to guide you in your reference books as to where this is new regulation exits as you should have access to them during a assessement. Questions on saftey should never put you in fear of looking a idiot!

I must admit I beleive this is a mis understanding but what happens if its not and people do start missing out bonding !!

You assume right mate. In your position I think I'd ring the tech helpline and tell them what their monkey, OOOPS I meant assessor, said

The problem with that trev is that the guys on the helpline are 'academics' and so asking them a technical question with application in the real world wont work either!

Reply to earthing with rcd in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net