Electrical2Go - Online Electrical Supplier
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members
Advertisement - Content continues below

Discuss Earths in cu in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

K

kduck

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:  American Electrical Advice Forum

Hi,

When you put your earths in to a consumer unit do you count from the main switch to the mcbs or do you follow the same number as the neutrals numbers? Also when you add a spur and do the insulation test do you do take it from the new spur or the whole insulation.

Bulk Workwear - Clothing Suppliers for the Whole Forum Network
I

irishsailor

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Hello Mate

You should start wirh your Main Earthing Conductor, then your Main Protective Conductor (gas / Water). Then your Mcb's in order largest first down to smallest. So say your 40A shower Mcb is the first then the earth goes to number 1 on Main earthing terminal, and Neutral goes to Number 1 on Neut rail and so on.

Regards

Irish

Hi,

When you put your earths in to a consumer unit do you count from the main switch to the mcbs or do you follow the same number as the neutrals numbers? Also when you add a spur and do the insulation test do you do take it from the new spur or the whole insulation.

K

kduck

in my cu the first neutral which is on the rcd side starts at number 4 so should my earth then go in to number 4 or number 1

Last edited by a moderator:
I

irishsailor

I would start at number 1 and work out that way mate, and make a note a stick it in the CU for future reference.

I

irishsailor

Kduck

The aim is to ensure to they all tally up on each bar for future reference. So if you sell your house in the future and the new owner has work done the spark has an understanding to assist him. Nothing worse than opening a board and they are all on different numbers on each bar takes a lot more time to test and find out what is what.

Chris

Reply to Earths in cu in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

SuperlecDirect - ElectriciansForums.net Electrical Suppliers

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
Top Bottom