Discuss East - West Split - How many invertors??? in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

I

ian81

Hi, my company have sent me to do an East West split with 18 Sharp 185w panels (9 on east and 9 on west) and one Sunnyboy 3800 invertor. Ive raised my concerns over having just one invertor and i feel that i need one for each side (without working out something like 2 x SB1700). Does anyone know if its advisable to have 2 invertors or even if it will work with one invertor???? im a bit confused any help would be great!!!!

SB3800 is a single MPP tracker so the system is poorly designed. Certainly a much better yield from two inverters.

Cheers for youre advice im going to go back to the office in the morning and let them know 2 invertors would be best. Weve got PvSol but i think they need some training on it!!!!! i havent yet had a chance to go on it yet maybe this is my chance to have a play with it as ive heard its one of the best around!!!!

And even without the E/W split Sunny Design shows it won't work - unless they're NT panels, the only Sharp 185's that will produce the correct voltage range for a 3800. I received several quotes for my install based on SB3800 or 3300 that simply wouldn't work and in every case the reply was "our suppliers said it would be ok" but now we've checked it you're right, it won't work!

Why east west split? It's a good idea for solar thermal where you need it to work all day but with PV you'll get more by putting it all on the west side and it's easier of inverters. The afternoon sun is generally brighter than the morning sun so west works better than east (not according to SAP calcs but in reality it does!).

If you've got a small roof and that's why you've gone east/west then try an inverter like Steca 2010 with slave 2MPPs or I would go with two SB1700 then they can both talk to one Sunnybeam display.

But would that be offset slightly by increased average ambient temperature in afternoons and therefore raised cell temperatures and reduced output? Anybody running equal split E/W with some comparison figures?
Or a SB4000TL with twin MPPT inputs, maybe cheaper than 2x1700 and still able to display seperate dc input from each string, plus bluetooth inc free, plus half the cost if you choose extended warranty route, plus arguably neater install. A little oversized but near identical predicted output as 2 x 1700 on E/W.

I'm almost with you but I steer clear of the TL inverters on account of the earthing and DC RCD requirements. I still haven't heard anyone explain how to wire TL inverters according to the regs and practically, the DC RCDs are apparently as rare as rocking horse manure?

See http://download.sma.de/smaprosa/dateien/7418/RCD-UEN103120.pdf
I understand the requirement for dc breaker on transformerless inverter but there is an exemption where the unit is proven to exclude dc currents from grid and SB4000TL complies with this. There's also an excellent chart somewhere on the sma downloads showing which panels require earthing with which inverters, and again the 4000TL is fine with most, one standout exception being the Sanyo hybrid modules. I must declare I have no electrical qualification so forgive if there other UK regs affecting this.

theres not much room on the west side for more than 9 panels due to massive shading the customer wanted the east west split. im going to go into the office this afternoon to discuss the options with them but after everyones advice im even more inclined to refuse to install the sb3800 !!!

I just ran it through PV*SOL 2 off (1 x East, 1 x West) 9 x 185W sharp panels assuming a 40 degree roof slope and the only SMA inverter it recommedned / would allow was the SB3000TL-20 althought it has only one MPP tracker it does allow 2 strings to be connected.

The two inverter option it offered was 2 x SMA SB1700 (and it was a very good match)

It will be cheaper to purchase the single SB3000TL-20, - however see all the comments on grounding TL inverters and RCD devices

Then, if you choose two inverters the purchase cost will be higher, and then they will each need their own MCB which could be up in the loft and the connected to a single MCB on the main cosnumer unit (so only 1 cable from loft)

Whataver - by my recommemdation the SB3800 should go back to the stores .....

Pays ya money takes ya choice..
East - West Split - How many invertors??? 2xInverters - EletriciansForums.netEast - West Split - How many invertors??? 1xInverters - EletriciansForums.net

Last edited:
I'm not saying this is wrong ,but as the 3000tl only has one mpp tracker then how can it be suitable for a E/W split?
if it was 2 strings same no modules same tilt/azimuth etc then I can see this being ok,
but I have to say I've not read anything about this inverter as its never been a match to any of the smaller jobs we've had

See http://download.sma.de/smaprosa/dateien/7418/RCD-UEN103120.pdf
I understand the requirement for dc breaker on transformerless inverter but there is an exemption where the unit is proven to exclude dc currents from grid and SB4000TL complies with this. There's also an excellent chart somewhere on the sma downloads showing which panels require earthing with which inverters, and again the 4000TL is fine with most, one standout exception being the Sanyo hybrid modules. I must declare I have no electrical qualification so forgive if there other UK regs affecting this.

After seeing your comments on the hybrid's I had a good look through the Sma site and could'nt find any mention of this chart
could you post where this table was please
I did find the table re grounding modules but this can't be what you've found as there is no mention of Hybrids

Edexlab, thanks for this comment because I fear I may be at error. The table I had been looking at is here http://download.sma.de/smaprosa/dateien/7418/Duennschicht-UEN093821.pdf which I'm guessing is the same table you had found. It does not of course mention Sanyo Hybrid. At the time I was looking at it I was considering the hybrids but from their data sheet I understood them to have amorphous Si(superstrate design) which would make them unsuitable for the 4000TL. I should have re-checked the table before I posted because I realise I've written the comment incorrectly as if they are mentioned by name. If you also believe this is factually wrong and that they are in fact suitable please let me know and I'll edit the post.
Interesting material here too http://download.sma.de/smaprosa/dateien/7418/Ableitstrom-UEN092510.pdf

Thought you'ld like thise:

The Front page of the PV*Sol reports:
1 x SB3000TL-20 Output to Grid = 2042.8 kWh/a
2 x SB1700 Output to Grid = 1987.0 kWh/a

It'll proabably be down to inverter efficiencies. In theory East/West, equal strings is no different from two strings same orientation, as a shadow passes over both strings, however with only one MPP tracker ... it's not what I expected!

East - West Split - How many invertors??? 1xInverters_output - EletriciansForums.netEast - West Split - How many invertors??? 2xInverters_output - EletriciansForums.net

Goes against what I've been told also. I have correspondence from SMA where they strongly suggest dual MPP tracker inverters even in cases of shading. With east-west arrays, I am very surprised that the result comes out better for the single tracker inverter over the two seperate inverters.

In fact, aside from the inherent better efficiency from TL inverters, I can't work out why the results come out like they do.

Intertesting. Is this partly due to the global peak mppt used in the 3000TL? Made for shade. SMA Solar Technology AG
Is it also fair to say that the E/W split problem is overplayed? If the sun's arc is 180deg and each roof roof face is pitched at 40deg that still leaves 100deg (in the best part of the day) when the sun is directly accessing both faces. And even when it's not directly accessing would the lower cell temp on the shaded side make up at least some of the ground lost by lower insolation? I'm also surprised by the figures to the extent of questioning if they can be right but now I'm nt so sure.

Gordon, can you maybe run a 4000TL through pvsol. I realise it will show oversized but I'd expect still to see a higher output with the advantages of twin mppt and the TL higher efficiency. The start voltage is the same as the 3000TL but the mppt range is actually slightly wider. I can't see why it wouldn't give the best output, balanced of course against the extra cost, but then once you've passed the payback period surely you want the highest possible output assuming you can fund the initial spend.

Edexlab, thanks for this comment because I fear I may be at error. The table I had been looking at is here http://download.sma.de/smaprosa/dateien/7418/Duennschicht-UEN093821.pdf which I'm guessing is the same table you had found. It does not of course mention Sanyo Hybrid. At the time I was looking at it I was considering the hybrids but from their data sheet I understood them to have amorphous Si(superstrate design) which would make them unsuitable for the 4000TL. I should have re-checked the table before I posted because I realise I've written the comment incorrectly as if they are mentioned by name. If you also believe this is factually wrong and that they are in fact suitable please let me know and I'll edit the post.
Interesting material here too http://download.sma.de/smaprosa/dateien/7418/Ableitstrom-UEN092510.pdf

HIT Hybrid cells are designed to" prevent the free charge carriers recombining on the back electrode ,
this is the main cause of capacitance discharge"
they are not the same as thin film but do use some of the same materials but have different characteristics

Also Sunny design highlights modules where a -/+ ground is required

Reply to East - West Split - How many invertors??? in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock