Discuss eaton rcd in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Yes every time connect a short peace of cable to the live connection on the RCBO and then test at the end of it and it will work or you will have yo test it at the socket

some rcd's need a few feet of cable attached for testing.

As I understand it, some RCBOs have the current sensing coil around the hole that you push the output cables through before they reach the actual terminals. If you test at the terminal screw heads, you bypass this. I've been testing an MEM board today, and has exactly this problem. I don't think that you need a specific length of cable attached, just that it passes by the correct route into the RCBO terminals.

bugger, had to get the tape measure out to convert that 10cm to english. about 4", if i read it correct.

The manufacturer suggests around 10cm tails for testing purposes...

I suspect that is just a suggestion for a convenient length. The line connection on the MEM RCBOs is buried about 50mm inside, so you'd not want much shorter anyway. After all, you're going to be clipping your test leads of unspecified length to them, so I doubt it's critical.

I suspect that is just a suggestion for a convenient length. The line connection on the MEM RCBOs is buried about 50mm inside, so you'd not want much shorter anyway. After all, you're going to be clipping your test leads of unspecified length to them, so I doubt it's critical.

No idea to be honest and never really had cause to think about it!! Only really work with the up-market stuff. Not that, that necessarily means they are anymore reliable as RCD/RCBO's, than the run of the mill stuff out there...

Reply to eaton rcd in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Hi all, Been a while since I have been on here. I have been on an apprenticeship the last 3 years training in the BMS world. Taking that into...
Replies
Views
My friend just moved into a new build flat and its for a disabled person with a hydraulic lift to go to the upper floor. There was/is a leak...
Replies
Views
Cant get my head round this :( I understand N-E faults cause RCD's to trip, but I cant understand why on these 2 occasions, googled allover but...
Replies
Views
I'm obviously still new and learning about what I can and cannot do, but essentially I want to install an EVSE at my own house for an electric...
Replies
Views
Keeping this brief.....................New dwelling.....TT system with 100mA S type rcd protected supply to local board with 30mA RCD. Freelance...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock