Discuss Ebay sniping software in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

brianmoooore

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Absolutely mothing to do with electrics, but was wondering if anyone on here knows anything about this kind of thing.
Bought a mini tractor with several attachments off of ebay last night. I placed a single bid 4 seconds from the end of the auction, and was surprised to see my bid accepted at just 65p short of my maximum, at £4465.00. Then was then a strange bit of numbers flashing on my screen, followed not by the usual green "you won this auction" or the red "you didn't win this auction", but by an ebay message saying "we are trying to determine who won this auction". Refreshed the page a few times, and after a minute or so, I got the green "you won" as normal.
Looking at the bid history, the last bid before mine was an automatic one at £4365.00, placed about 35 seconds before mine.
£4465.00 is not an outrageous price for what I've bought, but neither is it the bargain I was hoping for.
The question is, does 'sniping' software exist for seller to use? Something that can somehow probe my maximum bid, then place a bid almost exactly £100 below it, so forcing my bid to my maximum. Software that bids up until it's winning, then retracts the last bid, although no retractions are shown in the bidding history?
Or am I just being paranoid?

Dartlec

Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Absolutely mothing to do with electrics, but was wondering if anyone on here knows anything about this kind of thing.
Bought a mini tractor with several attachments off of ebay last night. I placed a single bid 4 seconds from the end of the auction, and was surprised to see my bid accepted at just 65p short of my maximum, at £4465.00. Then was then a strange bit of numbers flashing on my screen, followed not by the usual green "you won this auction" or the red "you didn't win this auction", but by an ebay message saying "we are trying to determine who won this auction". Refreshed the page a few times, and after a minute or so, I got the green "you won" as normal.
Looking at the bid history, the last bid before mine was an automatic one at £4365.00, placed about 35 seconds before mine.
£4465.00 is not an outrageous price for what I've bought, but neither is it the bargain I was hoping for.
The question is, does 'sniping' software exist for seller to use? Something that can somehow probe my maximum bid, then place a bid almost exactly £100 below it, so forcing my bid to my maximum. Software that bids up until it's winning, then retracts the last bid, although no retractions are shown in the bidding history?
There absolutely is 'sniping' software out there for buyers that will aim to put in a bid as late as possible. I am not sure if eBay did anything to stamp them out as they were rife in the early days of eBay.

In theory, the seller could have another buyer account set up to up the bids on his auction - and then he could perhaps cancel that last bid, though I'd guess that might show in the bid history?

Whether that buying software has the facility to retract a bid, I don't know - it would seem an unusual feature for software that is normally aimed for buyers.

nicebutdim

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Never heard tell sniping software for sellers, but the message you saw appears immediately after every auction ends and has done for a while. Sometimes refreshing after a couple of seconds will tell if you've won or lost, but sometimes it can take a bit longer and several page refreshes.

mainline

Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score

You're being paranoid.

Looe isn't far from where I am, btw

Jim_e_Jib

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Was there a bid immediately before the one for £4365 that was 35 seconds before yours? It could be that someone had entered that as their maximum and previous bid prompted an automatic bid of their maximum.

JBW175

Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
There is sniping software out there that people use, although I’ve never used it myself.

I also know that some sellers will continue to bid on their item to try and get the highest amount possible for it.

One of my old army mates came into work one day and he was absolutely fuming, when I asked what was up? He goes “I was selling some stuff on eBay, the mrs and her sister tried bidding it up to get maximum price and won the auction. Now I’ve got to pay fees for an item I already own and want rid of… I wouldn’t mind but it’s the 2nd time she’s done it!”😂😂😂

Intoelectrics

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
There is sniping software out there that people use, although I’ve never used it myself.

I also know that some sellers will continue to bid on their item to try and get the highest amount possible for it.

One of my old army mates came into work one day and he was absolutely fuming, when I asked what was up? He goes “I was selling some stuff on eBay, the mrs and her sister tried bidding it up to get maximum price and won the auction. Now I’ve got to pay fees for an item I already own and want rid of… I wouldn’t mind but it’s the 2nd time she’s done it!”😂😂😂
I was interested in an item once that was up for auction on eBay with a buy it now price of £60, make an offer, or starting bid @ £30

I watched it for a few days and on the last day no one had bid on it so I figured its probably worth around £50 (not the £60 that they wanted). So I offered £45, this was instantly rejected with no counter offer so I offered my max at £50. This was instantly rejected, so quite grumbled I waited out for the auction to see if anyone bid. At the last few seconds I bid the starting bid £30 and won the item!
Winner for me, loser for the greedy ------- seller!

mainline

Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I was interested in an item once that was up for auction on eBay with a buy it now price of £60, make an offer, or starting bid @ £30

I watched it for a few days and on the last day no one had bid on it so I figured its probably worth around £50 (not the £60 that they wanted). So I offered £45, this was instantly rejected with no counter offer so I offered my max at £50. This was instantly rejected, so quite grumbled I waited out for the auction to see if anyone bid. At the last few seconds I bid the starting bid £30 and won the item!

Sniping software is as nicebutdim said it's only for buyers, it's also pointless as there is no real need to leave your bid until the last second the only thing it does is take away the time another bidder has to ponder on going that little bit more.

Getting someone to knock the bids up is also somewhat pointless and risky as you would have no idea of the bidders max, a program that would do the same would also have its risks both in the way it would need to use proxy ip addresses and the risk of losing the accounts being used.

The seller above had obviously auto refused offers, but had the £30 starting bid.

Intoelectrics

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
The seller above had obviously auto refused offers, but had the £30 starting bid.
Yep, a risk the seller was willing to take in an attempt to get more than what the item was really worth. I could buy the item (with discount) @£60 brand new. The item was second hand, granted in great condition, but not worth the full retail value that was expected. My offer of £50 was more than generous on consideration and I might have kicked myself paying that when I could buy new for £60. But winning it for £30 was a real bargain.

JBW175

Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score

It’s the little wins like this that I like to hear about. 👍

Reply to Ebay sniping software in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net