Discuss Economy 7 multi rate meter advice. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I have a 2 rate electric meter with Economy 7 tariff as the property had night storage heating.

All of the old night storage heaters have been removed and replaced with Rointe Kryos electric radiators which are connected to a new consumer unit and nothing is now using the old Economy 7 board.

My question is, should the 2 rate meter now be changed for a single rate meter and a single rate tariff? I have noticed that now I am only using Rate 1 on my meter and Rate 2 no longer changes.

I am a complete novice so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
as it is, you are paying a higher rate for usage in tariff 1 than if you had a single rate meter. if you don't need the tariff 2 any more, get your supplier to change the meter, and shop around for the best deal from different suppliers.

If the radio teleswitch hadn't been partly disconnected when the consumer unit was changed/altered you would have still been using the lower rate for all of your electric during the night. By disconnecting the live supply to the teleswitch the meter will never enter low rate mode, which all of your circuits are connected to. You could have then set the heaters to operate during the night more to still benefit from the cheaper night rate a bit, with the convenience of having heating available during the day as well.

If rate 2 is no longer recording then, check your bill or check with your supplier to see what tariff you are on.

It you are still on E.7 you don't need a new meter, just tell your supplier you don't want E.7 anymore and they'll use both readings combined for the bill.
That's how mine is done.

Last edited:
If rate 2 is no longer recording then, check your bill or check with your supplier to see what tariff you are on.

It you are still on E.7 you don't need a new meter, just tell your supplier you don't want E.7 anymore and they'll use both readings combined for the bill.
That's how mine is done.
Not all suppliers will do that, SSE dont.

Thanks for all the advice chaps, I really appreciate it. I think I'll contact the supplier and ask them to change my tariff as I am still on E7. Hopefully they can just use the existing meter.

Thanks again.
[automerge]1582463913[/automerge]
Just seen the comment about SSE not doing that and I am currently with SSE so may have to change supplier.

Reply to Economy 7 multi rate meter advice. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net