Discuss ECONOMY 7 OR OIL FILLED RADIATORS. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hello Gentlemen,

My agent now wants to put in two oil filled radiators in the flat. One under the window and the other on the opposite wall. I did see a few comments before about the economy 7. Bearing in mind that the E7 is on cheap rate, they now tell me that the E7 isnt working and the Agent wants instead to put in two oil filled radiators which are 600kw each.

The tenant doesnt want to use the underfloor heating as it is too expensive to use apparently!

Sounds like you have made two possible methods available to the tenant for heating. If they took on the flat they would have to take the heating with it. Therefore any additional requirements for the tenant would surely be borne at their cost? As well, I am not sure that any electrical heating will be cheap to run. I would get the economy 7 working. Failure on the agents part to keep in good condition the systems in the flat (imho) are not acceptable if you are paying them for management.

Do you have existing storage heaters?

Yes I do, but when I was having a safety certificate done their electrician wanted to run a cable from the meter in the lounge to the one in kitchen but I stopped them from doing that and got in another electrician who didnt question where the E7 wiring was nor suggest that the cabling should run from the meter in the lounge to the CU in the kitchen.

Are oil filled radiators a lower rating then economy 7 heater then!

They can be as the cost of the off peak supplying the storage heaters is cheaper then the day rate tariff of oil filled radiators. So this means the property is more energy efficient.......

Interesting thread on the IET forum
IET Forums - Raising the rating of an Energy Performance Certificate - https://www.------.org/forums/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=205&threadid=104482&highlight_key=y&keyword1=lot20

Hello Gentlemen,

My agent now wants to put in two oil filled radiators in the flat. One under the window and the other on the opposite wall. I did see a few comments before about the economy 7. Bearing in mind that the E7 is on cheap rate, they now tell me that the E7 isnt working and the Agent wants instead to put in two oil filled radiators which are 600kw each.

The tenant doesnt want to use the underfloor heating as it is too expensive to use apparently!

Surreygirl, I think you mean 600watts each otherwise the two heaters would be consuming 1.2 million watts, this would need a very big cable and the house would most likely be as hot as a nuclear reactor. :D All joking aside though, the 600w electric rads are quite small, is it a fairly small room ?

No it is quite a large room. He suggests two, one on one wall and one on the opposite wall. The economy 7 isnt working so he has told me that it would be better then economy 7 especially as it isnt working! :(

I think you'd be better off getting the Economy 7 working and have two small storage heaters in the lounge, even though the modern electric rads are pretty efficient it would still be costly to run them.

I think you'd be better off getting the Economy 7 working and have two small storage heaters in the lounge, even though the modern electric rads are pretty efficient it would still be costly to run them.

That is what I thought. I have asked him to fix the E7 but he hasnt and doesnt seem to be inclined to. I suppose that is because I declined to have the cable run from the lounge into the kitchen and whacking great cost, not even sure why! :(

I think these people are very unprofessional SG, you just need to find a decent electrician [I know it can be easier said than done !], I also think you need a new letting agent based on what you've explained now and previously, if they're watching this thread so be it. :)

I think these people are very unprofessional SG, you just need to find a decent electrician [I know it can be easier said than done !], I also think you need a new letting agent based on what you've explained now and previously, if they're watching this thread so be it. :)

I agree with you on that and so I am wondering what to do. It is not easy being in Spain and trying to sort all these things out and find a new agent. I am fed up really as the E7 needs to be fixed that is even needs fixing. It was working when I was there and it was working when he went in now the tenant has said it isnt working and so he has too and I do not even think that it is on the right setting. Thank you for your kind words and support.

Do you know exactly what is wrong with the E7? Chances are the dno may repair at no cost.
Also, is/was the water heated overnight when E7 was working and is it now supplied on the ( more expensive) 24hr tariff?
As others have said, getting the E7 fixed is probably the best option.

Do you know exactly what is wrong with the E7? Chances are the dno may repair at no cost.
Also, is/was the water heated overnight when E7 was working and is it now supplied on the ( more expensive) 24hr tariff?
As others have said, getting the E7 fixed is probably the best option.

No I do not know what is wrong, probably, but not sure, that it is either the thermostat or one of the elements. It cannot be much as they are fairly simple or it could need replacing which is probably best.

I need to find an electrician that deals with economy 7 heaters. I will look tomorrow.

Any decent electrician will be familiar with them SG, very simple to fit and connect, although a little time consuming as they have to be assembled on site [loading bricks etc]

It is quite likely a tenant has gone with another tariff and the supplier has turned off the E7 in the process and only charges them for normal usage via the meter. Assuming it is a dual tariff meter mind you. But if they have not on E7 the daytime tariff is much more expensive than normal. E7 only works on using at least 4Kw or more to make it pay for itself. If you are not using the E7 and just the daytime tariff then yes, it is going to be eye wateringly expensive hence the attractiveness of using another U-switch tariff. They may not realise what they have done or doing!

It is quite likely a tenant has gone with another tariff and the supplier has turned off the E7 in the process and only charges them for normal usage via the meter. Assuming it is a dual tariff meter mind you. But if they have not on E7 the daytime tariff is much more expensive than normal. E7 only works on using at least 4Kw or more to make it pay for itself. If you are not using the E7 and just the daytime tariff then yes, it is going to be eye wateringly expensive hence the attractiveness of using another U-switch tariff. They may not realise what they have done or doing!
I do not think that she has gone with another tariff. Although it is a thought isnt it. I will have to check. Perhaps that is why she is reluctant to use the E7. It is a thought. I am thinking that I shall have to go over and check.

Reply to ECONOMY 7 OR OIL FILLED RADIATORS. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net