Discuss Economy 7 - Thermal cut out in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Good evening all,

I have an elderly client I have been doing some work for and he has old economy 7 heating. The Storage heater in his living room keeps causing issues. Basically it stops working, I've opened it up and re-set the thermal cut out and it works perfectly for about 6 weeks then same thing.

My Knowledge of these heaters isn't fantastic so I have run out of ideas passed replace the whole unit but unfortunately he doesn't want to pay the money to change it. Do any of you have any ideas why its doing this and can it be fixed without having to replace the heater.

You can try replacing it but a replacement is not cheap for some brands and from experience it often does not resolve the problem. You could try reducing the input stat.

If it's an old system, my guess would be (I'm assuming the temperature sense of the cutout is a bi-metal strip) that the bi-metal strip is getting weak and possibly moving too much.

My experience of them is somewhat limited, but could it also be the block temperature thermostat is ageing badly and not cutting out at the correct temperature?

I have seen one where excessive heat was being caused by a failing conductor lug at the cut out which again is generally not replaceable unless you obtain a new loom for it.

Thanks for the replies everyone. Its a Dimplex heater and apparently it was installed about 7 years ago cause the one before was about 30 years old. It is a bi-metal strip mind you. I'll maybe see about changing the cut out first and tell him to ensure his whites are left off the heater :tearsofjoy:

Newer Dimplex heaters will often cutout if any clothing is left over the vents. If the cutout is tripping otherwise, a faulty input stat is the usual cause. Quite a few of the replacements come as a kit with both the cutout and control stat.

Thanks for the replies everyone. Its a Dimplex heater and apparently it was installed about 7 years ago cause the one before was about 30 years old. It is a bi-metal strip mind you. I'll maybe see about changing the cut out first and tell him to ensure his whites are left off the heater :tearsofjoy:

I think everyone has assumed you meant that the old guy said replacing the stat/safety cutout was too much. Reading this it sounds like you were originally suggesting replacing the whole heater which is ridiculous when it is a simple job to repair the existing.

Reply to Economy 7 - Thermal cut out in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock