Discuss Ecovent toilet extractor fan in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Ecovent toilet extractor fan 20190503_135536 - EletriciansForums.net Ecovent toilet extractor fan 20190503_135110 - EletriciansForums.net Ecovent toilet extractor fan 20190503_135036 - EletriciansForums.net Ecovent toilet extractor fan 20190503_135008 - EletriciansForums.net

Ladies and gent I need your help . So I came across this extractor vent in my school . One is in the Male and female toilets . Both of them are not working at all . Am tempted to buy new one but like to figure out what going on here . I opened both the extractor fans and find something interesting. I can get 240 volts between live and netural and nothing between switch live and netual on both of the fans . Is that normal ? Both the fans are connected to an FCU in the picture. The other thing that worries me is that even when the fcu is stitched off the light is still on . Is that normal ? I find it's odd that I cant get any voltage between switch live and netural on both fans . I even switch the cables round but still nothing happens. Any help will be much appreciated

So, I'm guessing that the switched live comes from the light circuit and the fan is powered from something else.(That FCU?)
So, This means that the RCD will trip when the light switches on, and someone has removed the switched live at the light. Just guessing.

So, Have you inspected what is at the light?
So, where does the other end of that flex with the line used as a switched live (taped over in red) Ooh I so hate that....:mad::mad:
And that 3-core. Where does that re-appear?

So, more detective work for you, Sherlock.

Thanks mate for your reply . Am off till Tuesday morning when I return back . To be honest am not sure what I should be looking for but I know something isn't wire properly. The fcu light is on constantly regardless of the position is it ? As you suggested I need to do further investigation into it . By the way what I didn't mention yesterday was there is a burn sign inside the timer box could its be that the pcb board is toasted lol the burn is on the other pcb board too. If both are toasted what course them to be toasted ?

So, I'm guessing that the switched live comes from the light circuit and the fan is powered from something else.(That FCU?)
So, This means that the RCD will trip when the light switches on, and someone has removed the switched live at the light. Just guessing.

So, where does the other end of that flex with the line used as a switched live (taped over in red) Ooh I so hate that....:mad::mad:

The resistor on those boards do get warm so its not necessarily a sign that both boards are dead.
But don't go following that direction because

The obvious problem is that the switched live is not present at either fan. Nothing will work without that. You could test both fans out by briefly jumpering from live to switched live on each fan. Then remove the jumper. The fan should then run for whatever its time period is set to.

Then get your bloodhound out to discover WTF is going on.

It turns out that the PIDs are faulty in all of them .

Reply to Ecovent toilet extractor fan in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock