Discuss ECR and EIC in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

oracle

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I have a Periodic Inspection coming up on a small workshop and the customer has advised me that he has converted the storeroom into an office with new lighting and sockets that have not been tested.

It seems unsuitable to issue an EICR on the whole installation without any previous paperwork or an EIC for a new / existing combination so I'm thinking a certificate for the office and a report for the workshop.

Cost is not an issue with the customer so what do you think?

It is quite common to carry out an inspection & test on an installation (or part of) with no records. In my experience, it is more unusual to have full records.

So just carry on and complete the EICR.

If it was planned to only complete testing on a percentage of circuits (because there are previous records, e.g. last EICR), then I'd make sure to include the new alterations in the testing.

It is quite common to carry out an inspection & test on an installation (or part of) with no records. In my experience, it is more unusual to have full records.

So just carry on and complete the EICR.

If it was planned to only complete testing on a percentage of circuits (because there are previous records, e.g. last EICR), then I'd make sure to include the new alterations in the testing.
Thanks for the replies but the thing is there is only a sticker on the main DB showing that it was last tested 5 years ago but there are no records, schedules or drawings for either part of the installation.

The entire installation has been done in conduit and trunking, mounted on the surface and is visible throughout. Adding the alterations to the EICR without any paperwork worries me and since it's all accessible should I treat it as an EIC and test it stringently, bringing it up to current requirements? Cost is not an issue.

Just include the new parts into the EICR I don't see the problem. Forget the fact of when the alterations took place and whether they have certification or not.

No. The previous work is nothing to do with you so it would not be appropriate to issue an EIC for it.
Inspect the installation as found with whatever records you have available, same as you would with any inspection.
Note down that recent work has been carried out but no paperwork is available.

Cost not being an issue is irrelevant.

Thank you all for your supportive suggestions. I don't like third party certification at the best of times and EICR including new installation work without any previous paperwork seems an acceptable way to go

Reply to ECR and EIC in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock