Discuss ECS Card Clarifications in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

N

Nigel

Some info below on how the JIB are handling the recent card changes and how having or not having attended the 18th Edition update will affect it:

We’ve had some feedback that Installation and Maintenance Electricians are concerned that if they do not gain the 18th Edition they will ‘lose’ their gold card or become downgraded in some way, following the card changes announced last year. This is not the case.

Here we provide some clarification on what exactly the requirements are:

1. Registered Electrician status is different to a traditional Installation or Maintenance Electrician gold card. Rules affecting Registered Electricians and 18th Edition only affect those who have opted into this status.
By introducing the Registered Electrician status, the JIB’s aim is to raise the professionalism of individual electricians, electrical contractors and the industry as a whole.

Becoming a Registered Electrician involves a separate opt-in process that is additional to the standard gold card; it includes a commitment to CPD, keeping up to date with the Wiring Regulations and agreeing to a professional code of conduct.

So when we state that all Registered Electricians must have the 18th Edition by 01 July or lose their Registered Electrician status, this only applies to those who have previously opted-in to Registered Electrician status and do not have the 18th Edition.

2. If you are an Installation or Maintenance Electrician gold card holder, the only requirement you have from 01 July 2019 is to not let your card expire by more than 12 months.
From 01 July 2019, providing you don’t let your card expire by more than 1 year, you can renew your gold card under the existing requirements. There is no need to gain the 18th Edition or to become a Registered Electrician, unless you choose to. If you do gain the 18th Edition you can have this added onto the back of your card.

3. From 01 July 2019, if your gold card is more than 12 months out of date, you will have to sign up for Registered Electrician status before you can renew your card.
So, if you wish to continue with the gold card you already hold, it’s in your interest to make sure you renew your card on time.

A summary of the new rules surrounding Registered Electricians and gold cards:
  • From 01 January all new applications for gold cards must have 18th Edition and opt in to become Registered Electrician. So this applies to those who have never held a gold card before.
  • From 01 July 2019 all existing Registered Electricians must have gained BS7671:2018. Those who don’t will not ‘lose their card’, but the Registered Electrician status will be removed. You will still hold your ECS occupation (for example Installation Electrician) and JIB grade (for example Approved Electrician) on your gold card.
  • From 01 July 2019 if your gold card is more than one year out of date you will be required to renew as a Registered Electrician.
If none of the above apply to you, you can renew your card in the usual way.

We hope this provides a useful reference to share with friends and colleagues to show how the changes will work and address some of the myths currently circulating.

So as a person whose card has lapsed more than a year ago, I will have to get it renewed before this July to prevent from mandatory opting into their voluntary opt-in scheme ?

So as a person whose card has lapsed more than a year ago, I will have to get it renewed before this July to prevent from mandatory opting into their voluntary opt-in scheme ?

Nope - all re-certs should have been done before Jan 1st. You will now need 18th Edition to get a new card.

I hate this system I can't get a card as never done AM2 but worked as a sparks for 34yrs. Just never worked for a JIB company when I was younger. Have done many different installations and qualifications - the trade has lost some outstanding experience in my view. :(

I hate this system I can't get a card as never done AM2 but worked as a sparks for 34yrs. Just never worked for a JIB company when I was younger. Have done many different installations and qualifications - the trade has lost some outstanding experience in my view. :(

You can pay and sit the AM2 its open to all and if you have been a spark for 34 years you should fly the exam.

Agree with the above.i only did my am2 last year after 20 plus years in the commercial sector,including overseeing some pretty large jobs.i found the practical side of am2 pretty easy when the younger lads were struggling ,though i suspect they were far quicker than me on the regulations etc ! It was about £610 at leeds college of building if i remember rightly,then the 3 days lost earnings on top.i also did the 1 day prep course which i believe helped greatly.

Agree with the above.i only did my am2 last year after 20 plus years in the commercial sector,including overseeing some pretty large jobs.i found the practical side of am2 pretty easy when the younger lads were struggling ,though i suspect they were far quicker than me on the regulations etc ! It was about £610 at leeds college of building if i remember rightly,then the 3 days lost earnings on top.i also did the 1 day prep course which i believe helped greatly.
Thanks for the info as the costs I have seen have been much higher.

Reply to ECS Card Clarifications in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock