Discuss ECS Card - Labourer vs Trainee? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

O

Old Town Electrics

Hi, im currently looking at getting an ECS card so I can get some electricians mate experience through some agencys. I cant get the trainee card because im not signed onto a course and am not sponsored by a company, so that leaves me with the labourer card option.

From reading the ECS site it means i'll be able to assist but not carry out any craft work for the electrician. Does this basically mean that all ill be able to do on site is make cups of tea and pass screwdrivers or does it mean I'll be able to help out the electrician with interesting jobs etc which will give me invaluable experience?

Im fully prepared to make tea and pass screwdrivers but don't want to get to the point where the electrician thinks 'hey this guy is alright, i'd like him to help out with with some more complex tasks', but then realises that all I can do is make tea and pass screwdrivers.

Basically what i'm wondering in a very long winded way is will the sites insurances only let me do certain tasks or once on site will I be able to do what ever the electrician requires because by that point i'm already there and all the rules would have gone out the window?

I'd probably be better off speaking to a recruitment consultant im sure but I thought i'd get you lots opinions first.

Many Thank, Adam!!!

A lot depends on where you are working.
On larger sites making tea is not an option.
On some sites all labourers do is transport materials about site.
On others they will be expected to assist Electricians, perhaps marking and drilling holes, cutting, bending and threading conduit, cutting tray or trunking, running cables, etc.

Trainees are more likely than labourers to be tasked with terminating and final fixing, though as far as I am aware there is nothing to prevent a labourer from doing such.

If you do intend obtaining qualifications or experience, then it might be better for you to call yourself an 'improver'.
An unofficial term which means someone who is working towards becoming qualified.

Reply to ECS Card - Labourer vs Trainee? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net