Discuss ECS Gold card reverse in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Institution of Engineering and Technology - Technician Member
Completed Apprenticeship
BS7671:2018 Wiring Regulations
NVQ Level 3
Level 3 Certificate in Design, Erection and Verification of Electrical Installations
City & Guilds 2391 - Inspection and Testing
Inspection & Testing of Electrical Equipment

Bs7671 18th edition.
Apprenticeship.
Nvq3 buildings and structures.
Inspection and testing and certification of electrical installations.
Periodic inspection and testing of electrical installations.

Institution of Engineering and Technology - Technician Member
Completed Apprenticeship
BS7671:2018 Wiring Regulations
NVQ Level 3
Level 3 Certificate in Design, Erection and Verification of Electrical Installations
City & Guilds 2391 - Inspection and Testing
Inspection & Testing of Electrical Equipment
How bigs your card?

You can have much text as you like on the back of a gold card. They really ain't worth a lot these days given how easy they are to get. I have always been a great believer in the JIB and ECS scheme, but given the time scale the card can now been gained and the amount in circulation, the industry is on its knees. At the end of the day its all about who's got the most money in their pocket each week and I bet you it ain't the person with the most amount of text of the back of a Gold Card.

Open book 2391, EAL courses, easy gain Gold Card etc etc industry will be finished within 10 years.

You can have much text as you like on the back of a gold card. They really ain't worth a lot these days given how easy they are to get. I have always been a great believer in the JIB and ECS scheme, but given the time scale the card can now been gained and the amount in circulation, the industry is on its knees. At the end of the day its all about who's got the most money in their pocket each week and I bet you it ain't the person with the most amount of text of the back of a Gold Card.

Open book 2391, EAL courses, easy gain Gold Card etc etc industry will be finished within 10 years.

Its not 'easy' as you say to get an approved elec card Anthony, your getting your wires crossed a bit I think.
It's quite insulting too as Ive worked hard and am proud to be at the stage I am.....yet I know I don't take home pay what I'm worth.
Yes i agree it's far too easy for Joe bloggs to go to a college or online these days do part p, 18th edition (that is open book) and crack on.....
But JIB still has its grading as defined as it always has done.....
To be approved you need:
NVQ3
2391 or is it 2394 today? Test and inspect which is not open book and with generally a 30% pass rate not exactly handed out easily.
At least 3 years working as electrician.

If approved cards are getting handed out willy nilly as you say......where's your evidence?

It seems cr8p for us more experienced.
Only '17th edition' and 'inspection and testing'.
No sign of 'A cert', ' B cert' (approved) or 'C cert' (Technician) as used to be.
It's still gold both sides though.:cool:

Its not 'easy' as you say to get an approved elec card Anthony, your getting your wires crossed a bit I think.
It's quite insulting too as Ive worked hard and am proud to be at the stage I am.....yet I know I don't take home pay what I'm worth.
Yes i agree it's far too easy for Joe bloggs to go to a college or online these days do part p, 18th edition (that is open book) and crack on.....
But JIB still has its grading as defined as it always has done.....
To be approved you need:
NVQ3
2391 or is it 2394 today? Test and inspect which is not open book and with generally a 30% pass rate not exactly handed out easily.
At least 3 years working as electrician.

If approved cards are getting handed out willy nilly as you say......where's your evidence?

Forget about Approved or Technician Status it means little unless your working on the cards for a JIB company and most JIB companies like to pay Electrician Rates not Approved or Technician.

I don't know where you work but I've been in the game 30+ years subby/freelance what ever you want to call it and been on a fair few sites.

Plenty of lads and maybe lasses out there that pass out with-in two years with city and guilds core qualifications, NVQ and AM2 and gain JIB Gold Card and that's enough to earn ÂŁ200 a day on most sites.

Having Approved Status, Technician Status, Test and Inspection makes very little in monetary terms.

EAL Test and Inspection open book as far as I know likewise the lastest edition of the 2391.

Another route for an Approved Electrician Gold Card is via the NICEIC. Any QS for an approved contractor can gain the card via their company and the NICEIC do not revoke card if you leave the company. Back door route someone with out all the Qualifications anyone else needs to gain a card.

I've been on sites and know of White Carded workers with level 2365 on ÂŁ230 a day. No Gold Card, just a White Card ECS to gain access to site.

Also your only worth what someone wants to pay you , don't matter what you think.

Don't take anything as an insult, its the way the industry is and a few facts nothing more nothing less.

Never had a gold card, will soon, one day. But have earned £285 per day fairly often enough. As mentioned it’s not about what your card says, more about how good you are...

Having Approved Status, Technician Status, Test and Inspection makes very little in monetary terms.

Also your only worth what someone wants to pay you , don't matter what you think.

Don't take anything as an insult, its the way the industry is and a few facts nothing more nothing less.

Anthony you seem very bitter, the thread wasn't made by myself but I'm proud of what I've done thus far in the industry and I'm not driven soley by money. I want to learn and soak up as much as my brain will allow and that knowledge should count me in good stead, I'm hoping to get 2396 in time which is another feather in my cap.......not to demand more money just to learn and be proud of what I can achieve when I put my mind to it.

Another route for an Approved Electrician Gold Card is via the NICEIC. Any QS for an approved contractor can gain the card via their company and the NICEIC do not revoke card if you leave the company. Back door route someone with out all the Qualifications anyone else needs to gain a card.

Those cards don't have the JIB logo printed on them thou I think, so obviously not a real gold card !
Pre 1998 (or somewhere around that time), only C&G part 1 & 2 was needed for a grading was it not ? without any need for an NVQ3 or AM2. So in that case it would've be easier to get grading ?; then again colleges did practical's and/or work book's so I guess that evened it out.

Not that I agree with colleges dropping practical element, I think its sickening and its not the kids fault is it.

Reply to ECS Gold card reverse in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net