Discuss Edition 18 garage cu in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Lucacini

-
DIY
Reaction score
Hi

I’m after a bit of advice please. I recently had an old asbestos garage taken down and have replaced it with a brick structure inc a study done in line with building regs. I was going to reuse the old (fairly modern) board which was run from main cu with rcd but no rcd on garage board so I was told this would not be compliant nowadays. So I’ve replaced it with a garage cu from screwfix which has an rcd and mcbs. Happy days. However an electrician on our street just told me it’s still not edition 18 compliant because it should have an mcbo on each circuit rather than an rcd and mcbs. Is this correct? Many thanks (I know it needs inspection and sign off by an electrician as well - at the moment I have just connected the swa feed from house and swa out to my shed as I wanted to get power back on to shed - I was going to get an electrician to do the other circuits and then check what I’ve done)

I believe the only ‘difference’ between a 17th Ed board and 18th Ed boards is the 18th Ed is metal (non combust)

I believe the only ‘difference’ between a 17th Ed board and 18th Ed boards is the 18th Ed is metal (non combust)

However, is that of any importance in a building that is not a dwelling?

Thanks for the responses. Well the new board is metal so that’s good. And it is a dwelling - the garage is attached to house and includes an extra room as well as the garage. But the intention was for the cu to reside in the garage and supply the power and lighting circuits to the new room.

However an electrician on our street just told me it’s still not edition 18 compliant because it should have an mcbo on each circuit rather than an rcd and mcbs.
Not sure what an mcbo is (do you mean RCBO?). In any case, your local 'electrician' is not correct. An RCBO per circuit is not mandatory to comply with the 18th.

There is a reg (Separation of Circuits) that advises that installations should not have a single point of failure. That could lead one to the conclusion that a single up-front RCD is a single point of failure, and it's not good design to have this for a whole house (there are thousands of installations like this though). But in a domestic situation you have only one incoming feed which is protected by a service fuse. That also is a single point of failure.

This isn't a hospital ward with live-saving essential equipment that require 24 hour uninterrupted power. Its your garage with a couple of sockets and a light switch. Its fine.

You don't need an RCD or RCBOs in the garage board if it is already protected by an RCD in the house. Something else you were incorrectly told.
There would be no discrimination. With a leakage fault either or both would trip.

Reply to Edition 18 garage cu in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock