Discuss Education Advice (New Member) in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

Im a new member and would like to ask for some advice regarding possible career paths in electrical installation.
I am currently coming to the end of my 2nd year and am unsure as to what step to take next? My aim is to be able to install, test and sign off my own work in households. (not too fussed about industrial installations)
One tutor is stating we must complete year 3, then nvq + 17th edition, inspection & testing etc...
Another has said we can simply complete level 2, gain experience and miss out year 3 & nvq (but obviously complete 17th & inspection & testing etc).

All students on the course are very confused as to what to do next so your feedback will be helpful to many. I am thinking of missing the third year and getting experience with a spark as i feel i will improve a lot faster doing practical work rather than sitting in a class room for another year.

Apologies if i have missed any qualification steps...the information i have received so far is very vague and im obviously very new to this. I would like to also note that im not searching for a quick route, i just want to miss the steps that are not relevant to me.

Thanks in advance!

Phlipper

Just finish your apprenticeship and get the classroom stuff done you'll thank yourself in a few year it's always better to get as much qualifications as you can while your still at college and young.

Hi dude,you may have to give a bit more insight into your hopes and dreams...are you at college/training centre/other? Do you want to TRADE as an electrician or BE an electrician? Also,some steps may not be imminently relevant,but will figure in future career changes. You will get a multitude of varied opinions on career advice,but,it is YOU who needs to decide what you want to achieve,and accept the consequences of what is required to do so. If i had my time over again,i would have done less shooting,banger-racing and whoring,and spent 5 years studying to be a barrister...he-ho:coolgleamA:

Not searching for a quick route? Aye right.
4 year apprenticeship to be an electrician inc. the approved course work, check JIB site.
Anything less makes an imposter.

boydy

if you only wanted to do domestic you could have done a 5week course. now you're on the proper route, stick with it. level 3 and NVQ. then get into industrial. be a proper spark.

Hi everyone!

Im a new member and would like to ask for some advice regarding possible career paths in electrical installation.
I am currently coming to the end of my 2nd year and am unsure as to what step to take next? My aim is to be able to install, test and sign off my own work in households. (not too fussed about industrial installations)
One tutor is stating we must complete year 3, then nvq + 17th edition, inspection & testing etc...
Another has said we can simply complete level 2, gain experience and miss out year 3 & nvq (but obviously complete 17th & inspection & testing etc).

All students on the course are very confused as to what to do next so your feedback will be helpful to many. I am thinking of missing the third year and getting experience with a spark as i feel i will improve a lot faster doing practical work rather than sitting in a class room for another year.

Apologies if i have missed any qualification steps...the information i have received so far is very vague and im obviously very new to this. I would like to also note that im not searching for a quick route, i just want to miss the steps that are not relevant to me.

Thanks in advance!

Phlipper

All i can say, is that tutor needs booting, and as far outside of the Technical college system as possible!! What the hell's he playing at advising students to pull out of a foundation/core course to becoming an electrician, ...in order to become what??

Don't listen to this cretin, you'll forever regret any such like minded decision in the near and distant future. Get your core course completed to Level 3, your Level 3 NVQ and any other meaningful additional C&G courses such as testing inspection.

The 17th edition is a simple open book exam, that in essence shouldn't be required by a student coming out of their time, as they have just taken and passed final C&G exams totally based on BS7671... As has been stated earlier, look on the JIB website for the educational and experience reqirements of being a recognised ''qualified'' electrician.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm pretty sure your college won't put you through the NVQ if you haven't completed the level 3 although I could be mistaken. You don't need to do the 17th edition if you study to 17th edition regulations to gain a gold JIB card. Please don't waste your time by not completing the NVQ and AM2 especially if you have the opportunity. Everyday guys come on here who can't get the courses funded and it costs thousands out of their own pocket you will be surprised how much it costs. Yeah it's long and you want to earn money but you need to show to you and everyone else your confident and competent. A level 2 and 17th edition makes you sound like a 5 week wonder and you don't want to be classed as one of them, especially on this forum :)

Just to clarify if you were to complete the NVQ 3. The JIB will issue you with a gold card stating they have graded you as an electrician. On the back will show 17th edition wiring regs. Many of my mates went out and paid £400 for the course after completing the NVQ which was not needed as they studied to the 17th edition. Hopefully that will save you some money provided you have all the other qualifications in place

Thanks for all the info!

With regards to the tutors they are really good with the teaching side but each has very different opinions on which route you can take (as someone mentioned above its down to me to decide).
I think im just gonna stick with it and complete the 4 years.

Thanks again and sorry for the delayed reply!

Thanks for all the info!

With regards to the tutors they are really good with the teaching side but each has very different opinions on which route you can take (as someone mentioned above its down to me to decide).
I think im just gonna stick with it and complete the 4 years.

Thanks again and sorry for the delayed reply!

When you start a core electrical course such as the 2365/NVQ or 2357/NVQ, that's the course that you stick with and Finish!! The very LAST thing you need, is a cretin of a tutor, (that's supposedly teaching the course) advising students on non recognised unofficial alternative routes, that will NOT result in the student becoming a qualified electrician. Sorry, i'm having great difficulty believing that any a such tutor/lecturer can be ''really Good on the teaching side''...

If nothing else, they should bloody well keep their opinions to themselves and stick with concentrating on what they are being paid to do, ...Teaching the factual educational content of electrical courses. Same goes for their personal opinions on extending PME/TNC-S Equipotential Zones, discouraging RFC's, etc,etc,etc......

Hi everyone!

Thanks in advance!

Phlipper

It all depends on what you want to do.
Firstly how old are you? And what course are you doing at the moment? Ie 2330 etc

It all depends on what you want to do.
Firstly how old are you? And what course are you doing at the moment? Ie 2330 etc

Think the idea is training to become a qualified electrician, seeing as the OP is coming to the end of year 2 of a Level 3 course, which i will assume, will be either 2365/NVQ or 2357/NVQ.

So what does it depend on then??

Think the idea is training to become a qualified electrician, seeing as the OP is coming to the end of year 2 of a Level 3 course, which i will assume, will be either 2365/NVQ or 2357/NVQ.

So what does it depend on then??

Agree.... it dont depend on nothing. just get you tickets from college and then go choose whatever you want to do

Reply to Education Advice (New Member) in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net