Discuss Efficiencies of electric showers with hot water supplies?! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

G

Greg:

What do you think of showerslike:
http://www.mirashowers.co.uk/onlinecatalog/pdf/p3821_4.pdf
with the above PDF stating
2.2.The mains supply must be 230–240 V at 50 Hz connected to the appliance
viaa double pole switched 3 Amp fused connection unit (not supplied) with a
minimum 3 mm contact separation gap in each pole.

obviously a typical electric shower with a single cold water feed operates with reasonable efficiency in a similar way to an electric kettle with a pump.

How does this compare to showers with hot water feeds that operate eitherin connection to a water storage tank or a combi boiler?

Last edited by a moderator:
Electric heating is pretty much 100% efficient as all the energy is converted to heat and none of that heat is lost. Gas boilers dump some of their heat out of the flue so hence the 90% efficiency or whatever.

However, as electric is so much more expensive than gas per comparable unit, it is still usually cheaper to use gas for heating. Electric showers are used more for convenience I dare say.

Thanks kingeri. I guess its a tricky balance and, at present, my suspicion is that the economics may get close to that. Gas may be cheaper but some of the heat of the water will also leak heat on the long and winding road from boiler to shower and, in the summer, that heat would be completely wasted.

My guess is that a major factor related to shower installations in refurbs would be the comparative cost of a making a hot and cold connection for the shower (which would be already in the bathroom) vs the cost of adding new circuits with 6 or 10 mm2 T&E from the DB (which is less likely to be situated in the bathroom).

Any other judgements on running costs ... or the potential effects of bottled gas?
:)

Reply to Efficiencies of electric showers with hot water supplies?! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock