Discuss Ei Electronics/Aico 3000 series in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Risteard

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
There doesn't appear to be an ionisation detector available for the Ei Electronics (Aico) 3000 series alarm range. Or does anyone know of one?

Basically there was a house which was a HMO at one time, but was converted to a single family rented property. For some reason the fire alarm panel was disconnected and the system was replaced with standard domestic-type detectors. Unfortunately there is a whole mix of brands, with many heads missing or damaged. So every head will just need to be replaced. I had intended to fit ionisation detectors in the rooms with opticals everywhere else (bar obviously heat detector in the kitchen).

just fit opticals (except for kitchen. ionisations are a pain in the arse for false alarms. burn toast in kitchen, bedroom detector alarms.

I believe manufacturers of Part 6 devices are moving away from them for several reasons one being people choose optical over ionization due to false activation plus ionization contain radioactive materials banned in many countries.

just fit opticals (except for kitchen. ionisations are a pain in the arse for false alarms. burn toast in kitchen, bedroom detector alarms.
Yes sorry, I notice I wrote "intended to fit ionisation in the rooms" - I had intended to write bedrooms!

So to clarify there are 4 bedrooms, which I had intended to fit ionisations in.

Between escape routes and main habitable room, there are 6 opticals.

And one heat (in the kitchen).

Aico Ionisation Smoke alarm is the Ei141RC, however in the 3000 series the Ei3016 Optical smoke alarm is an infrared LED and photo-diode Receiver.

The Ei3024 is a heat sensor and Optical sensor that will trigger from smoke alone.

Aico Ionisation Smoke alarm is the Ei141RC, however in the 3000 series the Ei3016 Optical smoke alarm is an infrared LED and photo-diode Receiver.

The Ei3024 is a heat sensor and Optical sensor that will trigger from smoke alone.
I'm sensing the best solution will be to substitute ionisation detectors in bedrooms for multi-sensors. EI141RC appears to be discontinued with only existing stock remaining so far as I can tell. Unfortunately this will obviously push the cost of the detectors up further.

I have found in the past that multi buys on e-bay are OK, but the units are about three months into the ten year life period, if that does not bother you then the less expensive Ei3016 is probably the best bet as a Optical Smoke Alarm, if you are fitting these in the same place as the originals, do they have mains power to them already?

I have found in the past that multi buys on e-bay are OK, but the units are about three months into the ten year life period, if that does not bother you then the less expensive Ei3016 is probably the best bet as a Optical Smoke Alarm, if you are fitting these in the same place as the originals, do they have mains power to them already?
Yes all mains wired with wired interlink (in any I checked anyway).

But the 11 detectors are going to cost the landlord somewhere in the region of £600 in parts alone.

I have found my local wholesalers still have stocks of the 141RC ionisation alarms.
However, these are classed as D2, as they have a user changeable battery. BS5839 part 6 recommends grade D1, with tamper proof rechargeable batteries, if the property is to be rented. The Aico 161RC is ionisation, grade D1, but harder to get hold of.

This information is all in the Aico Handybook App, which is very, well erm.... handy.

Might be worth finding out your regional AICO manager, you may be able to go to the direct and skip the wholesaler which might have the cost a rad
I know the regional rep alright, but not sure that they sell direct.

Reply to Ei Electronics/Aico 3000 series in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock