Discuss EIC Consumer unit change in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi guys and girls,

Changed over my first CU today (didn't go bang so I'm classing it a success), with regards to the EIC do I list every circuit and fill it in as if they were new circuits, I've had a look at the best practice guide for CU's and the way i'm reading it it would suggest yes as its the schedule of test results but wasn't sure if i'm going overboard? I've got all the values from all the pre and post tests so easy enough to do but wanted to check i'm doing it right and if there is anything else I need to add in the comments for a CU change? Ps.. was just the CU being changed no physical alterations to any of the circuits

According to BS7671 the Certificate is not valid without the schedule/s. Best place to look not best practice guides.

According to BS7671 the Certificate is not valid without the schedule/s. Best place to look not best practice guides.

Yes I didn't mean whether to attach the schedule of test results I meant about listing every circuit or if there was something specific to do for a CU change, having not seen anything otherwise my instinct would be to do it as if they are all new circuits but wanted to ask some of the experienced sparks on here as they have been very helpful on some other things i've asked.

When you change a CU, you are altering ALL the OCPDs and therefore your inspection and testing needs to confirm that the new devices are suitable for use there after ...

Tedious, yes, necessary, absolutely

And if you are in England or Wales the new CU requires part p notification too

When you change a CU, you are altering ALL the OCPDs and therefore your inspection and testing needs to confirm that the new devices are suitable for use there after ...

Tedious, yes, necessary, absolutely

And if you are in England or Wales the new CU requires part p notification too

Hi Murdoch, yes done all the testing before and after the change, happy with all that it was just the actual filling in on the EIC, want to check that listing each circuit on the schedule of tests as if they were new curcuits is the correct thing to do

The requirement is to test and record the results of any existing circuit that has been altered or new circuit that has been installed.
Note 1 for EICs prohibits the use of an EIC to report on the condition of an existing installation.

Some will say that you’ve changed the characteristics of each circuit, so in effect altered them.
To a certain extent, that’s true, however it is only a problem when changing rewire-able or cartridge fuses to MCB/RCBOs with a rating below 15A/16A.
All B type BS EN 60898 MCBs and BS EN 61009 RCBOs 16A and above have a higher maximum permitted Zs than the corresponding rewire-able or cartridge fuse.

As such you would need to verify the Zs on any 6A or 10A B type MCB/RCBOs and of course for any C or D type if installed.

As for the rest, it’s entirely up to you.
A complete schedule is useful for further reference when periodic inspection are conducted, and also a copy of the schedule can be placed in or near the board to identify circuits.

You do need to make sure that under ‘extent of installation covered by this Certificate’, you make it quite clear what work is covered.

please explain on that score .

Prior to the change I tested the main bonding continuity, the ze, continuity of r1r2's of the circuits, and IR tests of the circuits but Line and nuetral connected to earth and Zs and then post change did the Zs again where there were sockets and RCD tests pefc,pscc,polarity did everything as if it was a complete new install basically

Sounds like you have gone about it the correct way. Test first always a good rule of thumb.
Thanks thats good to hear I'd rather start off as I mean to go on in a sense and do things the right way, that said can always learn more stuff so thats why I think this forum is great, so from what i've read then il fill out the EIC as I would for a new install with all the circuits on the schedule of tests sheet, thanks guys

Regulation 514.9.1 requires you to have a legible diagram or chart for the type and points number, size of conductors etc.

Interesting that the model forms don't have the number of points column

FWIW I always complete this for new work , but leave it blank on existing installations.

That said it appears that there are increasing numbers of customers who get Part P certificates, but not EIC's ................

Maybe the Schemes should get us to upload a copy of the EIC as part of the notification process.............

Tin hat on

Reply to EIC Consumer unit change in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net