Discuss EIC issuing?........ in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
A question came up today - do you actually have to have any qualifications to issue an EIC? It would show conformity of the installation to BS 7671 so do you have to have taken the 18th regs exam or not? Obviously it is not a sensible idea but i was just wondering? I am reffering to it from the point of view of a sparky not registered with a competent persons scheme - so getting building control involved etc.

You do not require any qualifications to issue a generic EIC, but if you are issuing a scheme EIC obviously you will have to meet their qualifications requirements.
A generic EIC will have your name on it, as long as it is a correct documentation of a compliant job then all's good, if it's a load of tosh then M'lud will take a very dim view if it ends up in court.

BS7671 requires appropriate certification to be issued whenever applicable electrical work is conducted.
BS7671 doesn’t require anyone to have qualifications.
Having the 18th may make it easier for someone to comply with BS7671.

What events could mean that the thing ends up in court?
The circuit/s are designed/installed/tested incorrectly and the installation catches fire killing someone would tend to mean someone ends up in court on a minimum of a manslaughter charge.

yes ok - but does that meant competent - as in know their stuff? or being part of a competent persons scheme

You don't have to be a member of a scheme to design /install/ test an install. But it will aid notification.

One way of showing competence is through qualification but it can be shown other ways such as an assessed demonstration of skill without the attainment of qualification such as showing a member of LABC you can correctly design, install and commission a circuit using the appropriate publications, tooling and test equipment.

yes ok - but does that meant competent - as in know their stuff? or being part of a competent persons scheme
BS7671 was around long before Part P and competent persons schemes.
Also Part P only applies to domestic installations, so all those office buildings, hospitals, football stadiums, etc. all need EICs and not a competent persons scheme in sight.

Now we have the 18th, so does that mean anyone who qualified to the 14th, 15th, 16th or 17th is no longer competent?
You don’t have to pass an exam to know how to read a book.

Ok - that is very interesting. Has anyone had any experience in doing this without any qualifications - how strict are building control??:)
You need to speak to building control as their requirements vary across the country.

If you feel you are competent issue away, but you need to realise that an EIC alone may not be sufficient, if notification is required to BC then you will have to pay their fee for each job.

Ok - do building control have to give you permission to issue an EIC or what? sorry, dont have much experience with labc
To notify LABC you should provide the relevant certificate for the nature of works and pay them a fee to do so. Or you can do the same through a CPS scheme at a much reduced cost.

Reply to EIC issuing?........ in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net