Discuss EIC or MINOR WORKS? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
HI EVERYONE, IF I ADD A RADIAL CIRCUIT OF 2 SOCKETS , 5 METER RUN IN 4MM FLEX CONTAINED IN CONUIT AND TRUNKING, AND TERMINATE IT IN AN EXISTING 32AMP MCB WHICH SERVES A RING CIRCUIT, DOES IT WARRANT A MINOR WORKS OR EIC CERT? I UNDERSTAND THAT IF I PUT IT ON ITS OWN BREAKER IT WOULD BE AN EIC , BUT WHAT ABOUT IN THIS SITUATION WHERE I AM ESSENTIALLY ADDING TO AN EXISTING CIRCUIT..
THANKS IN ADVANCE. :)

Why 4mm² flex? This will not mix well with solid conductors in the MCB.
Also, by doing what you propose, you have altered the nature of the ring final circuit in a way that is not accounted for in appendix 15, which, although it may be perfectly safe, might confound anyone who comes across it in the future.
I would suggest doing as @westward10 says and incorporate the new sockets into the ring.
Or make it a new circuit. (Which, if in a dwelling, would be notifiable to local building control).

HI EVERYONE, IF I ADD A RADIAL CIRCUIT OF 2 SOCKETS , 5 METER RUN IN 4MM FLEX CONTAINED IN CONUIT AND TRUNKING, AND TERMINATE IT IN AN EXISTING 32AMP MCB WHICH SERVES A RING CIRCUIT, DOES IT WARRANT A MINOR WORKS OR EIC CERT? I UNDERSTAND THAT IF I PUT IT ON ITS OWN BREAKER IT WOULD BE AN EIC , BUT WHAT ABOUT IN THIS SITUATION WHERE I AM ESSENTIALLY ADDING TO AN EXISTING CIRCUIT..
THANKS IN ADVANCE. :)
Why 4mm flex? 2x sockets should be on a separate radial, unless fed via a FSU.

Why 4mm flex? 2x sockets should be on a separate radial, unless fed via a FSU.
that's the correct way, but as he's used 4.0mm for the spur, does it still need fusing down if more than 1 socket???esp.ashe's fed it from source and not putting excessive load on 1 point of the circuit.

that's the correct way, but as he's used 4.0mm for the spur, does it still need fusing down if more than 1 socket???esp.ashe's fed it from source and not putting excessive load on 1 point of the circuit.
A spur constitutes 1 twin or 1 single SO, NOT 2 sockets, if the RFC he is coming from is 2.5mm then why use 4mm, maybe that;s all he had, seeing as he doesn't answer I guess we will never know.

Not a spur as such though. If I've read it correctly he is wanting to put a 4mm radial circuit in the same OCPD as an existing ring circuit.

As someone said above, either extend the ring or put the new circuit in a separate MCB.

give us a chance :)
4mm flex is the cable I have to hand,the run is in containment.
I'm not fusing down via a FCU as the 4mm cable is big enough,If I were using 2.5mm cable,then I would have a 13amp FCU before the two sockets.
The question I'm really asking is , does it need to be an EIC cert or a MINOR WORKS cert :)

Why 4mm² flex? This will not mix well with solid conductors in the MCB.
Also, by doing what you propose, you have altered the nature of the ring final circuit in a way that is not accounted for in appendix 15, which, although it may be perfectly safe, might confound anyone who comes across it in the future.
I would suggest doing as @westward10 says and incorporate the new sockets into the ring.
Or make it a new circuit. (Which, if in a dwelling, would be notifiable to local building control).
thanks for your help, I think I will do as you advise.I was gonna put a new 16mcb in for the circuit but all the L1 phase ports were taken and I didnt want to have them on a different phase to the other sockets in the room (garage).

Reply to EIC or MINOR WORKS? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net