Discuss EIC to local council out of date?? in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi after Issuing a EIC to a builder for electrical work(New ring and lighting to a kitchen extension,plus a new Ccu,) what would be a reasonable time that the builder should issue the certificate to the local council .He has only just done it but the cert was issued 18 months ago and the council say its out of date and he wants his money back.Any thoughts??

Last edited by a moderator:
His problem, he should have done it 18 months ago.
This is my opinion.He is threatening the small clains court ,quoting ..i havent done what i was paid to in the contract , by ensuring the council would accept it.Think imo he will have to fiollow through his threats
Thanks for your opinion Strima

I don’t suppose you fancy posting a copy of the contract with person details removed?

I can’t imagine a clause in there that will trip you up at small claims court but it’s worth a look if you are concerned.

If there hasn’t been any changes since your work was completed and certified there is no reason for Council to refuse it. (Was it done to 18th edition?).

Anyway, I’d probably offer Builder to talk to Council about it. You may find there are other things they don’t like about the build...

Hi after Issuing a EIC to a builder for electrical work(New ring and lighting to a kitchen extension,plus a new Ccu,) what would be a reasonable time that the builder should issue the certificate to the local council .He has only just done it but the cert was issued 18 months ago and the council say its out of date and he wants his money back.Any thoughts??

Did you notify the works at the time?

As @Midwest said given you are a cps member it would have been automatically notified if you have failed to do this then the liability is on you I would say. Why not do an EICR. Of course if you were not a cps member then given that electrical work needs to be notified prior to work commencing then again if you failed to do this and issue a cert to the council I would say again you are liable. But then again if the builder had his own notification of works in to BC, and the council did not ask for the cert when signing off, then the BC have been negligent in not obtaining the cert at the time of signing off.

If there hasn’t been any changes since your work was completed and certified there is no reason for Council to refuse it. (Was it done to 18th edition?).

It has to be notified to the council, one way or another, within 28 days of completion of the work.
A certificate dated 18months ago is a long way overdue so they have a good reason not to accept it.

This is totally on you I'm afraid Sparky, it's your responsibility to notify building control within 28 days of completion.

OP has not been here since 11.17pm Friday.

Sounds like this work was part of an extension, which might of been under planning, certainly building reg approval or building notice.

For the former, sometimes an LBC will encompass the electrical works in the building reg approval. In that case, electrical works do not need a separate notification.

Generally, that would require confirming at the time, something the builder might of overlooked, and the OP thought was going to happen.

Believe some members on here do similar, as not in a Scheme.

Hi, i am not registered with Nic or any other but am fully qualified to certificate. I was asked to do the certification after the work had been done.On previos occasion there has never been a problem and indeed this time the council arent questioning my ability , but want to see the installers qualifications. as he is now fully retired , and lost them many years ago he hasnt got them . So the builder wemt out and got a Part P spark to cert it without my knowledge.I could have got it done but he wouldnt pay .Now as stated he is trying to get the £150 backfrom me.

Hi, i am not registered with Nic or any other but am fully qualified to certificate. I was asked to do the certification after the work had been done.On previos occasion there has never been a problem and indeed this time the council arent questioning my ability , but want to see the installers qualifications. as he is now fully retired , and lost them many years ago he hasnt got them . So the builder wemt out and got a Part P spark to cert it without my knowledge.I could have got it done but he wouldnt pay .Now as stated he is trying to get the £150 backfrom me.

So to get this right.

Your not in any Scheme, but you’ve been working for this builder for some time, testing & certifying another electricians (sparks 1) work, who can’t prove his credentials to carry out electrical work.

For some reason the builder then decides to get a Part P spark (sparks 2) to test & certify this particular job (installed by sparks 1). Sparks 2 then invoices the builder, for carrying out some sort of test & certification, on this job. The builder then asks you to pay sparks 2 bill? (have you received any monies, for this particular job?).

If that’s the case, I wouldn’t have anything more to do with the builder, not pay this invoice, go and speak to Citizens Advice Bureau.
I can’t see the builder has a case, as this arrangement you two have been following is not one of the methods for notification, as prescribed in Part P.

Last edited:
So to get this right.

Your not in any Scheme, but you’ve been working for this builder for some time, testing & certifying another electricians (sparks 1) work, who can’t prove his credentials to carry out electrical work.

For some reason the builder then decides to get a Part P spark (sparks 2) to test & certify this particular job (installed by sparks 1). Sparks 2 then invoices the builder, for carrying out some sort of test & certification, on this job. The builder then asks you to pay sparks 2 bill? (have you received any monies, for this particular job?).

If that’s the case, I wouldn’t have anything more to do with the builder, not pay this invoice, go and speak to Citizens Advice Bureau.
I can’t see the builder has a case, as this arrangement you two have been following is not one of the methods for notification, as prescribed in Part P.
Thanks to all for the input on this.Its been most herlpful.I have been registered on here for many years , but under my old e mails etc which has since fallen away somewhere .I have tried to log on and change my details but it wouldnt have a bar of it. hence im now a newbie on here LOL Thanks again

So to get this right.

Thanks to all for the input on this.Its been most herlpful.I have been registered on here for many years , but under my old e mails etc which has since fallen away somewhere .I have tried to log on and change my details but it wouldnt have a bar of it. hence im now a newbie on here LOL Thanks again
So is this what has happened?

Basically Yes . Council wont accept the cert now. so he got it retested .Now wants the £150 back he paid .Has really sent some loaded threatening e mails,Small claims courst .Wants my solicitor and states hope he knows his stuff etc.
Going away for a few days on Friday . Will seek some legal advice after.

Reply to EIC to local council out of date?? in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net