Discuss EIC vs EICR advice please... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hello,

I have a question regarding certification if anyone can constructively help please... I am a registered domestic installer (looking to go AC very soon).. I've been asked by a landlord to install a new CU in one of his properties connecting to existing cables (tested of course)...

I've agreed a price and completed the work.. Everyone was happy... I've signed it off and emailed them the EIC certificate... Then I got a call back saying the lettings agent have asked for an EICR due to property being tenanted... The landlord has come back to me asking for the EICR but being domestic installer I'm not yet qualified to complete/provide that cert... Also that wasn't in the works we agreed... What's the best course of action anyone can advise please.. I thought as I was signing off the EIC that was "above" a standard EICR but I probably am wrong on that..

Also, is it ok to provide the green copy of an EICR to the lettings agent..? I'm not yet AC but I am pretty much ready and confident in my testing of existing installations.. And how is it they don't accept the EIC

I'd like to add there's no animosity or dispute with the landlord between us but just looking at the best way to resolve this...

Many thanks..

the EIC you have provided is correct for the work you have done. however, due to legislation, a EICR is also required for rental properties. Basically, what you need to do is fill out a EICR using the readings from your EIC and getting additional readings for the rest of the circuits. and provide the landlord with the report + a copy for the letting agent.

obviously, the landlordshould payyou for this additional work.somewhere between £140 and £200 is about the going rate.

I'd agree with above comments. You did the right thing. End of job. Any more work is a new job.

An EICR is only needed for landlords in certain circumstances, maybe a fresh tenancy (let's not get into that debate again), maybe renting out for first time in a while, maybe last EICR has expired. Or maybe they have a thick letting agent (see below)
If he wants an EICR, then give him an EICR, but this is chargeable work as you'd likely have to look at the circuits in more detail and visit the property again. It doesn't matter that you are DI, just don't use an NICEIC form, use electraform (£1 + vat) or something else.
As @snowhead said many letting agents believe that like a car MOT until there is one that says "pass" it's a fail. (EDIT sorry he didn't say that, I just sensed that was where he was going with it)
I have a standard letter for EICR remedials that includes the following...

Section 5 of the ‘Electrical Safety Standards in the Private Rented Sector (England) Regulations 2020’ states that where remedial work is required following an EICR report a private landlord must obtain written confirmation from a qualified person that the further investigative or remedial work has been carried out and that (i)the electrical safety standards are met; or (ii)further investigative or remedial work is required.

Following reviewing the report and undertaking remedial work as detailed below I’m happy to serve confirmation that the electrical safety standards in the property referenced above now meet the standards set out in BS7671:2018.

the EIC you have provided is correct for the work you have done. however, due to legislation, a EICR is also required for rental properties. Basically, what you need to do is fill out a EICR using the readings from your EIC and getting additional readings for the rest of the circuits. and provide the landlord with the report + a copy for the letting agent.

obviously, the landlordshould payyou for this additional work.somewhere between £140 and £200 is about the going rate.
Many thanks... great advise... One more question.. I know it doesn't look too good but is it perfectly acceptable to provide the Green Self certification EICR...? thanks...

Spot on

Reply to EIC vs EICR advice please... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net