Discuss EICR 3 Bed Detached In Half Hour in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Gravid

-
Arms
Reaction score
Speaking to someone recently who's recently had an EICR done on a 3 bed detached 1970's, they wanted my opinion on a couple of things. I ended up asking out of interest how long it took. They said two of them turned up and half hour it was done! To which i replied no chance. I said it must of taken longer, they said definately no longer than an hour. I've not seen the report yet.
So it's an old 4 way wylex, circuits are cooker, skts (2 skts in every rm), immersion, lights (so approx 10 centre lights). 2 sparks. Lets say test and inspection only no paperwork, what do you lot reckon possible or not?

Haha, usual lim's, no lifting of carpets damage to decor. I did ask are you sure it wasn't just a visual report too which she replied thay had a thing that bleeped, so i presume thats a tester of some description....maybe a volt stick.
I don't know how much it cost.

Last edited:
Haha, usual lim's, no lifting of carpets damage to decor.

Well even on a thorough full day inspection i wouldnt expect to be doing those things anyway ?
Anyways , it will make amusing reading if you can get a copy of the report and post it on the forum lol.

To test and inspect 4 circuits (Single phase) I'd think 30 mins a circuit average so with 2 blokes maybe you could just about get it done in an hour.... tin hat on!

Not saying it would be very in depth but at the same time should be enough to know if its safe or not. This doesnt include paperwork etc etc.

To test and inspect 4 circuits (Single phase) I'd think 30 mins a circuit average so with 2 blokes maybe you could just about get it done in an hour.... tin hat on!

Not saying it would be very in depth but at the same time should be enough to know if its safe or not. This doesnt include paperwork etc etc.
What does "not very in depth" mean in that context? (well you did say you had your tin hat on ;)).

If you're only doing 10% vis, what do you do about the ticky box for correct identification of conductors and checking cpc to each accessory on the lighting circuits for example? Just base those answers on the accessories inspected?

Yep, 100% electrical test and then 10% sampling, if there is anything wrong in the 10% then increase the sample to further investigate e.g. 10% -- 25% -- 50% etc etc.

Are you saying that if you had 15 sockets on a ring you would take off and inspect every socket? causing extra damage to wall covering, tile grout etc etc?

The sampling will be discussed with client, highlighted on test sheet etc. NICEIC have never had a problem with this and tbh if I priced more than say 30 mins for a radial circuit I wouldnt win any work.

Yep, 100% electrical test and then 10% sampling, if there is anything wrong in the 10% then increase the sample to further investigate e.g. 10% -- 25% -- 50% etc etc.

Ah, so if the (random?) sampling yields errors, then you'd increase the sample size. So only completable in that time frame if nothing found wrong?

Are you saying that if you had 15 sockets on a ring you would take off and inspect every socket? causing extra damage to wall covering, tile grout etc etc?

It would depend on what the the client had asked for. If it's in domestic I offer two types a "home buyers survey" where I do it based on sampling, similar to yours; I also offer a full EICR(PIR) where yes, I check all accessible accessories. If I damage anything I will make it good afterwards.

The sampling will be discussed with client, highlighted on test sheet etc. NICEIC have never had a problem with this and tbh if I priced more than say 30 mins for a radial circuit I wouldnt win any work.

That's usefull thanks. So the client is aware of what they're getting, I don't see an issue with that. As long as they don't think they are getting a full EICR.

Last edited:
I think there is a slight difference between contracting and your own business jobs.because the terms of the inspection are agreed by others

I suspect you get some people taking the word inspection and using it to mean,"have a little nose around"

I, with the agreement of the client, recommend 30% of accessories removed for inspection (plus the nose around as well)
I think 10% is a little restricting,eg a property with 10 rooms having one switch removed

It depends then on the standard of compliance and workmanship that I find, whether to go for some more or be content with what's been seen

Hopefully, a Eicr should not mean ripping the installation to shreds

That's usefull thanks. So the client is aware of what they're getting, I don't see an issue with that. As long as they don't think they are getting a full electrical test.

Essentially yes this is true. There are stipulations along with this, for example I only allow 20 minutes to locate the circuit in question, longer than 20 mins is not tested and requires further investigation (again at clients cost on a day rate).

I don't really do domestic testing, comparable would be the leisure industry that I do, a majority of testing is industrial and commercial.

TBH i don't know of anybody that inspects 100% of accessories visually, that would take masses of time. Do others on here inspect 100% visually?

Essentially yes this is true. There are stipulations along with this, for example I only allow 20 minutes to locate the circuit in question, longer than 20 mins is not tested and requires further investigation (again at clients cost on a day rate).

I don't really do domestic testing, comparable would be the leisure industry that I do, a majority of testing is industrial and commercial.

TBH i don't know of anybody that inspects 100% of accessories visually, that would take masses of time. Do others on here inspect 100% visually?
I think that's one of the main differences then IE Domestic/small commercial versus larger commercial/industrial. The latter most certainly will have their own maintenance schedules as well. The T&I will also be done more frequently in the latter cases and the sampled items can change with each iteration of the test. With Dometic the recommendation is 10 years from install (or at change of ownership). After that down to the recommendation of the tester.

Would I be correct in guessing that the leisure industry has it's own regulations (a bit like pubs where it's under control of the local authority)?

Last edited:
If a property had 10 rooms, and they were on 1 circuit that would be 20 points assuming 1 light and 1 switch per room. so there for 1 switch and 1 light fitting would be removed and inspected.

However most of the time I would assume that over 10 rooms you would either have more than 1 circuit and/or more than 1 fitting per room.

If 10 rooms had 2 fittings per room and 1 switch that would be 30 accessories and so 3 would be visually inspected.

As said above if anything shoddy etc were to be found then the sampling would increase.

THAT BEING SAID in a domestic situation I would maybe do more than the 10% anyway as on a radial with 2 sockets on it, you would check a minimum of 1 socket, therefore thats 50%.

IT IS 10% visual per circuit with a minimum of 1 accessory so will in most cases be more than 10%

IT IS NOT 10% of the installation, you couldnt inspect all sockets and no lights etc.

I think that's one of the main differences then IE Domestic/small commercial versus larger commercial/industrial. The latter most certainly will have their own maintenance schedules as well. The T&I will also be done more frequently in the latter cases and the sampled items can change with each iteration of the test. With Dometic the recommendation is 10 years from install (or at change of ownership). After that down to the recommendation of the tester.

What I be correct in guessing that the leisure industry has it's own regulations (a bit like pubs where it's under control of the local authority)?

Generally yes, licencing laws etc state that certain circuits need to be inspected annually for purpose of the licence and then either 3/5 years.

- - - Updated - - -

100% external visual inspection of all accessible equipment.
The internals you may well get as you are doing the testing.

Agree with the external inspection... I was only saying to sample the internal

Whenever I have done domestic inspection I usually just throw a day rate of around £180 at it as after its done then there isn't usually a job to follow it on so I am also aware that in 6 hours (2 for paperwork) it would be fair to inspect a lot more visually than 10%

Reply to EICR 3 Bed Detached In Half Hour in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net