Discuss EICR and CU change in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi guys. I have 2 questions to confirm my thinking.

1. If I perform an EICR on an installation, which was Installed whilst a previous edition of the regs were in place, does it mean that I can give a satisfactory condition providing all test results and observations are correct for that particular set of regs. Much the same if I see work was done at a time where RCDS were mandatory for circuits incorporating socket outlets and the installer had not followed current regs at time of installation, that would mean an unsatisfactory condition would be what I would report. Is this correct thinking?

2. If a customer requests a CU change and I notice the lighting circuit had no CPC, would I be able to install new cu, and then test install as usual. Or would I have to rewire lights first to bring up to current regs?

any help would be gratefully received.

Matt.

Google electrical safety council and download and READ Best Practice Guide #4

EDIT and the best practice guide that covers the lighting circuit with no CPC.

Sombody needs to post a thread with the link to the ESC and these dam guides - they are really important and useful to get consistency across the trade.

Sombody needs to post a thread with the link to the ESC and these dam guides - they are really important and useful to get consistency across the trade.

Completely agree Murdoch.

I have linked them many times in threads, however unless you are reading that thread you wont see the link.

Their are perhaps too many stickys already but this would be good to make into one I think (unless it allready is and I just haven't found it!!)

Somebody needs to point out you need a good understanding of what too look for during the inspection stage, a good understanding of of the old regulations and how the codes should be applied. Using the ESC guides as a back up and not a be all to everything you may come across as a firm coding.

1. If I perform an EICR on an installation, which was Installed whilst a previous edition of the regs were in place, does it mean that I can give a satisfactory condition providing all test results and observations are correct for that particular set of regs.

Not necessarily. It depends entirely on whether or not you judge it to be safe. You are conducting your inspection against the Requirements of the current Edition of the Regulations. It is not relevant whether or not it complied with the Regulations of the time. Would an installation to the 1st Edition be safe to remain in service?

Thank you all for your help I will look over guides straight away and get a better understanding of EICRs. Thanks Trev for your useful comment, really helpful. I suppose that's why they create these forums.

You are conducting your inspection against the Requirements of the current Edition of the Regulations. It is not relevant whether or not it complied with the Regulations of the time.

I think you may need to read the Note by the Health and Safety Executive in your regs. BYB page 11.
Our interpretation seems to differ.

I think you may need to read the Note by the Health and Safety Executive in your regs. BYB page 11.
Our interpretation seems to differ.

I presume this is the note which states that earlier practices are not necessarily unsafe. This clearly suggests that, by the same token, that they are no longer necessarily considered safe either. In other words you need to make a judgement call.

Your inspection is still required to be carried out against the current Standard.

I presume this is the note which states that earlier practices are not necessarily unsafe. This clearly suggests that, by the same token, that they are no longer necessarily considered safe either. In other words you need to make a judgement call.

Your inspection is still required to be carried out against the current Standard.

As long as people make the correct judgement call. I don't like people stating that a CU is unsafe just because it's "not to current standards." It comes across like they are trying to deceive the customer.

Last edited:
Thank you all for your help I will look over guides straight away and get a better understanding of EICRs. Thanks Trev for your useful comment, really helpful. I suppose that's why they create these forums.

Trev can always be relied on to give sound advice
icon14.png

What I expect he is meaning to say in a very brief post is.

"EICRs are expected to be carried out by electricians with an above average knowledge and with experience of the type of installation being inspected"

Do you satisfy that definition taken from the advice given by the IET ?

Trev can always be relied on to give sound advice
icon14.png

What I expect he is meaning to say in a very brief post is.

"EICRs are expected to be carried out by electricians with an above average knowledge and with experience of the type of installation being inspected"

And allow the necessary time to inspect the installation thoroughly

Do you satisfy that definition taken from the advice given by the IET ?

I've edited that for you!

Reply to EICR and CU change in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net