Discuss EICR and lack of RCD protection for sockets (commercial) in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

G

GaryM

A large commercial unit, comprising of office area and a warehouse/despatch area with a large roller shutter door.
No sockets at all are RCD protected and it seems that non of the items used in them are PAT tested.

Whilst carrying out an EICR would you opt for a C3 for lack of additional protection by 30mA RCD for sockets considering people are using them for some of their own person equipment (as well as lack of PAT)?
Regarding potential use of portable equipment outdoors, would you give a C2 for lack of additional protection even though the business itself doesn't use any equipment outdoors even though there's a potential to? What about any tradesmen working on the unit externally?

The final decision is yours, but I would C3 it unless as you say they are using electrical equipment outdoors. So obviously only sockets that are exits or open able windows. If there is no sign they don't use outdoor equipment,i.e they have none on site then a note with the reasons why and the ESC leaflet explaining why RCDs should be incorporated into any circuits with sockets on them should suffice

if you can replace " skilled or instructed persons" with "numpties" then i'd give all sockets a C2.

That's the thing, I'm not sure anybody on site can be classed as skilled or instructed!

Instructed Person. A person adequately advised or supervised by skilled persons to enable him/her to avoid dangers which electricity may create.

Skilled Person. A person with technical knowledge or sufficient experience to enable him or her to avoid dangers which electricity may create.

It really depends on the grade of 'Numpty'

C1 if there is imminent danger !

Addition: Although, I have found that most bipeds who exhibit the signs of quadrupedal behaviour show an inversely proportional effect to shock and danger.......

Last edited:
that means most commercial and industrial sites then. have to rewrite the rule book.

and if there are fork lift trucks on the site, it'll need a lot more than RCDs to protect circuits. enclose everything in 3" thick armour plate ( earthed of course )

Reply to EICR and lack of RCD protection for sockets (commercial) in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net