Discuss Eicr and rcd's in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

A

ample current

Hello all,

now I know we dont have to retrospectively apply the latest regs to older installations but what is the advice when it comes to doing a periodic on rented accomodation and the consumer unit is quite old and has no RCD's, do you just mark the EICR as N/A or mark it as a fault code like C3 for example.

Thanks in advance

no rcd for cables buried less than 50mm = C3
no rcd for bathroom circuits but bathroom bonding present = C3
no rcd for sockets used by ordinary persons = C3
no rcd for exterior sockets = C2

record the relevent code for each corresponding section in the eicr.

well C3 for lack of rcd protection for any of the following :

sockets outlets for use by ordinary persons
cables less then 2" in walls
circuits in bathroom (C2 if NO supplementary bonding is present)

I would list all of the above that apply seperately

?????????????????
fail.
;-)

I'll answer back this time biff lol because i feel thats slightly unfair...

It's not quite a fail really, the OP didn't stipulate anything you'd wrote...hense why i was saying fit and safe for continued use it wouldn't warrant a code.

I am obviouslly aware that exterior sockets need rcd protection and the like...

thought you were fair, biff. i had you down as a blonde baywatch lifeguard, running up and down blackpool beach in a skimpy, with one og those cork flotation aids. PMSL.

I should have said it was for the socket circuit inparticular no outside sockets. not sure when it was tested last as i wont have the old documents till tomorrow so will look.
also the socket circuit has had a few spurs added and the client says it was done about 5 years ago, they are in the harmonised couloured cables, does this make it in the relms of the 17th edition as opposed to 16th and should have had rcd or rcbo installed anyway. did the 16th stipulate the use of rcd's on socket circuits used by ordinary peeps.

cheers

could have been 16th. stupid colours came in c.2005.

I should have said it was for the socket circuit inparticular no outside sockets. not sure when it was tested last as i wont have the old documents till tomorrow so will look.
also the socket circuit has had a few spurs added and the client says it was done about 5 years ago, they are in the harmonised couloured cables, does this make it in the relms of the 17th edition as opposed to 16th and should have had rcd or rcbo installed anyway. did the 16th stipulate the use of rcd's on socket circuits used by ordinary peeps.

cheers

new cable colours came out 12 months before 17th ed. regs.
no requirement in 16th ed. regs for all general purpose skts to have rcd protection.

after further consideration i've decided you might be right...........

epic !!!!!!!!

;-D

Don't make me drive to blackpool and have my wicked way with you ;)

YOU NAUGHTY BOY!

Now..ill personally edit the quote in this post, too what i class as a fair representation of myself in this thread.

new cable colours came out 12 months before 17th ed. regs. 3 years
no requirement in 16th ed. regs for all general purpose skts to have rcd protection. only ones that were likely to be used for outdoors equipment. e.g. elec. mowers etc.

Reply to Eicr and rcd's in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net