Discuss EICR and unnecessary work? in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
I need to get a PIR/EICR done. I am scared that I might be forced to pay for work to meet the 17th edition regs but is not compulsory for older installations else get rated "unsatisfactory". I called up one electrician and he said if there were no rcds I would need a new CU to pass, but from reading forums it seems that it is only C3.

The only major thing I have spotted is that the CU has all MCB's but no RCD. There are circuits for rings, lights, cooker and shower.

The shower MCB could be replaced with an RCBO.

My question is, can the house still pass (albeit with a few C3s) without replacing the CU or fitting all RCBOs?

Or is it the case that any installation not up to 17th edition could be classed as 'unsatisfactory' even if it was in accordance with the regs when it was installed?

Also, some cables may not be installed exactly to the regs e.g. a twist in a cable or not clipped every 30cm, etc. If I have an inspection done, could I be forced into getting the house rewired over minor defects such as this?

Does every accessory need to be checked inside or can just a sample be looked at?

Finally, is the result of the inspection passed on to any authority e.g. building regs or put on a database?

Thanks guys.

Last edited:
I take it that this is a rental property that your intending to rent out?? If so don't you think for your own piece of mind, and that of the saftey to your tenants, it would be a good idea to upgrade the CU to one that does have RCD protection??

agree with both above posts. whilst it may no be necessary to fit RCD protection, it's not a bad thing. more importantly is to see the state of the installation, earthing/bonding etc. by having a EICR done. then take it from there.

First of all sounds like a rental property plus you have a mcb board and far as I am aware you are not obliged to put a RCD version in unless you have done or will do changes also it is not about getting a satisfactory and anyone testing the installation must give reasons why they have failed it ie no main earthing broken dangerous socket etc

As mentioned, no need for fuseboard change as complied at time of installation.

If your local to me I will hapily do it for you.

£25.00 per circuit average 3 bed house takes till mid afternoon to complete.

Please state the reason for the report
What are your priorities ?

Is it the safety of the persons using the installation ? or perhaps a satisfactory report of an unsatisfactory installation

Please don't take this the wrong way but a number of your previous posts have been asking about doing work in a house, including a bathroom. Is this the house you are asking about for the EICR?

It depends on the age of the installation and which edition of the regs it was installed to. I think it will require RCD protection to the downstairs socket outlets if it was wired to the 16th edition as it was a requirement to provide it for all sockets likely to be used for outdoor portable appliances.

It depends on the age of the installation and which edition of the regs it was installed to. I think it will require RCD protection to the downstairs socket outlets if it was wired to the 16th edition as it was a requirement to provide it for all sockets likely to be used for outdoor portable appliances.

Modifications to circuits in certain locations will also mean installations of RCD's are very likely to be mandatory too.

Why would the ground floor sockets require rcd protection if the install was per 2008
I havn't got a BYB to hand but I was under the impression there was a reg in the 16th edition that stated 'all socket outlets likely to be used for outdoor portable equipment should be protected by 30mA RCD' or words to that effect. The interpretation that was the 'norm' by most sparkies I know was that any socket on the ground floor may be used for the lawnmower extension lead etc. Hence the split load board with sockets on RCD. I have seen the same reg 'complied' with by fitting 1x RCD socket in the garage but that always seemed a bit hit and miss to me. I could never belive that outdoor equipment required RCD protection but not showers...
I may be wrong though, I'd have to check old regs books tomorrow.

I was going to take the trouble of answering all the OP's questions clearly.
Then I realised he hadnt come back to check the replies after 5 hours so i wont lol.

The beauty of replacing the board now is that if/when you need any alterations/additions done to circuits you are already complying by having RCD's fitted. By not having RCD protection if alterations/additions need to be carried out then you will need to protect the said circuit with 30mA protection. This can be easily done individually but how many individual RCD's would you like dotted around the original consumer unit?

PS, Is lack of RCD protection not a C2? :thumbsup

Here's a comparison for you;)

I bet the OP has an iphone rather than one of those old bricks with a handset and cord lol

Being eletcrically safe and up to date is obviously Sooooo unfashionable lol

Put your hand in your wallet and update you tight fisted geeeeet lmao

:D

Posted in jest obviously :thumbsup

Round my way a lot of the letting agents won't take on a property unless it has an up to date board fitted. Minimum seems to be RCD on sockets.

Reply to EICR and unnecessary work? in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock