Discuss eicr certification -remedial work in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
my company has just had a few EICR's on their flats carried out, a few c1's and 2's missing blanks on front of cu, top of cu not to IP standard. mcbs not rated properly. The company are withholding the certs until the work is carried out.

Am I right in saying we are under no obligation to have the company carry out the work and after paying for the work we should ask for the certs

my company has just had a few EICR's on their flats carried out, a few c1's and 2's missing blanks on front of cu, top of cu not to IP standard. mcbs not rated properly. The company are withholding the certs until the work is carried out.

Am I right in saying we are under no obligation to have the company carry out the work and after paying for the work we should ask for the certs

If you pay to have an EICR carried out, you're entitled to a copy of the report paid for. Have remedial works carried out by whomever you please.

unfortunately they are already paid

I'd be inclined to tell them firmly, but politely that you expect to be furnished with the reports that have been paid for. If that doesn't work, you have the usual routes to avail of (including reporting them to any scheme of which they may hold membership) and they won't have a legal leg to stand on.

Being generous; it's possible that they actually believe that unsatisfactory reports can't be issued and, if that is the case, you'll be providing a service to others by helping this company understand a rather fundimental aspect of their business.

I'd be inclined to tell them firmly, but politely that you expect to be furnished with the reports that have been paid for. If that doesn't work, you have the usual routes to avail of (including reporting them to any scheme of which they may hold membership) and they won't have a legal leg to stand on.

Being generous; it's possible that they actually believe that unsatisfactory reports can't be issued and, if that is the case, you'll be providing a service to others by helping this company understand a rather fundimental aspect of their business.
yep, I'll word a nice and friendly e-mail and see how they reply

They should issue the certificates but I suspect to be fair they probably have not written them up yet and in most cases they probably find they get the remedial work, they probably then issue satisfactory EICR's without the C1's and C2's... I can kind of understand this as its always a pain to explain that an unsatisfactory EICR after the work is done does not need to be altered to a satisfactory, the unsatisfactory plus proof of the work being carried out is sufficient..

I would also say gaps in a consumer unit I tend to just stick in blanking plates anyway, they are literally pennies and IP rating at the top of the enclosure is usually cause its plastic, bit of fire sealant fixes that.. I tend to do these without charging as the time it takes me to do I save on not having to write them up on the EICR... But I guess some companies do cheap EICR's and make the money up on silly remedial work...

Like catdog, I'll often deal with any silly little remedials like blanks on the spot to save the hassle of a return visit, admin etc. Unless there are a catalogue of issues to deal with.

BUT, if you've paid for an electrical report you should receive an electrical report. Simples.

Sounds like this firm are playing the game.

Reply to eicr certification -remedial work in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net