Discuss EICR Certs - NICEIC registration in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi,
Private landlord here.
Like seemingly a lot of people. I thought electricians had to be registered with NICEIC or NAPIT in order to carry out an EICR test on a property. Except actually I've just learned they dont actually have to be. (thats correct right?).

However, if they then say the property is not up to standard and needs some bits of work doing on the electrics in order to get the cert, do they then have to be registered with one of the bodies in order to carry out the work?

If they don't have to be registered with any of these bodies, I have read something about being a "competent person". What does this mean, and is there any way I can check their status / check they have passed whatever qualifications they need to have done?
Thank

You are correct. You do not have to be registered to do EICRs.

as for doing the remedial works to sort any issues. You also don’t have to be registered.

However, if the remedial s are notifiable works then the Sparkie will have to get the local building control involved in order for them to sign it off. This costs lots of money So is not financially viable.

Another way is to get third party notification. Basically get another registered spa4kie to sign of your works. Not many sparkies are willing to do this and if they do they will charge alot.

If the remedials are not notifiable then an unregistered sparkie is fine.

notifiable works are as follows.

new circuit installed.
new consumer unit fitted
addition or alteration in a special location like a room containing a bath or shower Or external outdoor work.

non notifiable works are as follows.

addition or alteration to an existing circuit unless it’s in a special location.

there is a bit more to it but that’s the basics.

Registration with one of the competent persons schemes is not compulsory to carry out EICRs for domestic rentals. For remedial work, it depends.

Some types of electrical work in dwellings are notifiable to local building control, in the same way as, for example, building an extension to a house would be. There are different ways to notify the work, but an electrician registered with a competent person scheme can notify the work him/her self through the scheme provider with minimal fuss or expense.

Types of work that would need notifying are:

Replacement of a consumer unit.
A new circuit.
Work in close proximity to a shower or bath.

All other types of work are not notifiable.

Competence is a difficult one to prove. There is a period inspection and testing qualification which the government guidance for landlords recommends an inspector should have. However it is worth mentioning that it is just a 5 day course, and doesn't on its own prove competence. Knowledge and experience of the sort of systems being inspected are both essential to carry out EICRs, and these things cannot be taught in the classroom.

Some links for you:

This thread may be worth a read too:
(It's from the sparks perspective)

This is all super helpful thank you everybody. I think I know everything I need to know now. Except just one more thing while I'm at it:

In the linked thread from the electricians point of view, somebody says this:

"Building control notification is another matter entirely. It's technically the responsibility of the person ordering the work to notify Part P notifiable works, before the work even commences, and pay the local authority £100s for the service.
However, it's far cheaper and more convenient for the householder to use an electrician who is registered with one of the schemes that allow the registered user to notify building control through the scheme provider (NICEIC etc.), as it only costs £2 or £3 per notification.

It's against the law to not notify work that should be notified, but it's the householder's responsibility to do so."

So in 1 paragraph they say its the person doing the works responsibility to notify, but in the next they say its the householders responsibility. That seems contradictory?

Thanks

This is all super helpful thank you everybody. I think I know everything I need to know now. Except just one more thing while I'm at it:

In the linked thread from the electricians point of view, somebody says this:

"Building control notification is another matter entirely. It's technically the responsibility of the person ordering the work to notify Part P notifiable works, before the work even commences, and pay the local authority £100s for the service.
However, it's far cheaper and more convenient for the householder to use an electrician who is registered with one of the schemes that allow the registered user to notify building control through the scheme provider (NICEIC etc.), as it only costs £2 or £3 per notification.

It's against the law to not notify work that should be notified, but it's the householder's responsibility to do so."

So in 1 paragraph they say its the person doing the works responsibility to notify, but in the next they say its the householders responsibility. That seems contradictory?

Thanks
Hi. It's me you quoted.
Sorry for the confusion. You'll notice I did not say the person doing the work, but the person ordering the work to be done. The person ordering the works can also be the householder, if they own the property they live in.
In the case of rented accommodation, it would be the landlord ordering the works, so the landlord would need to do the notifying.

Hi. It's me you quoted.
Sorry for the confusion. You'll notice I did not say the person doing the work, but the person ordering the work to be done. The person ordering the works can also be the householder, if they own the property they live in.
In the case of rented accommodation, it would be the landlord ordering the works, so the landlord would need to do the notifying.
Ah ok thanks. So if they have inspected the property, decided this stuff needs doing, and are NOT themselves registered, they should also be saying to me that as part of the works I or the letting agent would need to be notifiying the council?

basically, as you may have figured out: Letting agent has sent an electrician in to do the EICR cert, they've come back saying to pass it, the following work needs doing, with a hefty bill for works, which has been forwarded to me from the agent. I have done some snooping and cannot find this trader listed on any of NAPIT/NIC/competent trader lists, and the whole thing smells fishy.

If there is notifiable work to be done (assuming it is actually needed) then you want someone registered to do the work and take care of notifying. Council Building Control depts often don't want to be bothered with having to inspect work themselves, and charge hefty fees (£100's) to discourage it - compared to a few £ when done via NICEIC etc.

Ah ok thanks. So if they have inspected the property, decided this stuff needs doing, and are NOT themselves registered, they should also be saying to me that as part of the works I or the letting agent would need to be notifiying the council?

basically, as you may have figured out: Letting agent has sent an electrician in to do the EICR cert, they've come back saying to pass it, the following work needs doing, with a hefty bill for works, which has been forwarded to me from the agent. I have done some snooping and cannot find this trader listed on any of NAPIT/NIC/competent trader lists, and the whole thing smells fishy.
Maybe discuss with the agent why they are using a non registered tradesperson? There may be some good reason, if the agent has a history with them and trusts their judgement.
Trust and competency are difficult to quantify, hence the reason for the guidance for landlords to use one of the Competent Person Schemes when looking for an EICR.

basically, as you may have figured out: Letting agent has sent an electrician in to do the EICR cert, they've come back saying to pass it, the following work needs doing, with a hefty bill for works, which has been forwarded to me from the agent.
Very common.
You aren't obliged to use the original electrician to have remedial work carried out.
Ask for the full EICR report (not just their standard covering letter telling you you need an 18th Edition Consumer unit with SPD protection and it will cost 2 grand).
Remove any personal details from the report, and post it up here. We'll do our best to help.

EICR are often a point of contention here, not because most are wrong, but just a lot are being done just now and some are poorly done, or occasionally near-fraudulent. However, some are simply pointing out serious problems that are not apparent to the owner. As already suggested, folks here will usually give an honest appraisal of the (personal info redacted) report especially if it (or yourself) can furnish some photos of the items mentioned.

@Pretty Mouth has posted a link to the Best Practice Guide #4 which has a good overview of the sorts of problems that can be seen and guidance on how to rate the risk, though ultimately that is a judgement call on the electrician doing the inspection.

Some of BPG#4 is obvious and easy to follow, other points only make sense to an electrician or similar. As a landlord it is well worth looking over as it gives you a good overview of what might be an issue on your properties, even if not all of the aspects are apparent to a casual observer.

Thanks hugely for all the info from everyone. I have a call with the letting agent tomorrow to discuss, but wanted to go in with as much knowledge as possible, I certainly now feel much better placed. There are a few other delicate political hurdles to overcome, which I wont detail on here, so I have to tread lightly, but thats why I feel much more confident now I know the exact state of play.

I have not seen the full report, just the quote for works, which is admittedly fairly detailed. I suppose its possible the electrician is registered, and hasnt put their NIC / NAPIT number on the quote. But given that they have put their company name, companies house number, address, and the electricians name - all of which are showing a blank on searches it doesnt look great.

My hope is the agent will just agree to start from scratch with a new (registered) electrician, but I need to see what is said tomorrow. If it doesnt get quickly resolved, I will see if I can get hold of the full report to ask for further advice.

If it doesnt get quickly resolved, I will see if I can get hold of the full report to ask for further advice.
I would say your starting point for any decision should always be the full report.

Only then can you (or any one advising you) see why certain things are being recommended as corrective action. If they are reluctant to provide it I would be very concerned about the honesty/integrity.

It is not about nit-picking (as most reports will have something that is not quite 100%), really about seeing the key issues and judgment for any major work. Quite possibly something moderately expensive like a new CU (consumer unit = distrabution board = fuse box) really is the best option.

Maybe discuss with the agent why they are using a non registered tradesperson? There may be some good reason, if the agent has a history with them and trusts their judgement.
Trust and competency are difficult to quantify, hence the reason for the guidance for landlords to use one of the Competent Person Schemes when looking for an EICR.
Good reason is the Agent is getting a backhander for every EICR the sparks is doing

My parents got an EICR done for a rental they have. I live 400 miles away so was not able to do it myself.

the report was ok ish, but I totally disagreed with most of the coding. Too many C2s.
despite this I agreed that all the C2s whether correct or not should be rectified. The quote for rectification was reasonable so dispite me not agreeing I told my parents to go ahead and get the work done.

it is a rental and you are responsible for the safety of your tennants. Just get it done.

I code correctly even if I do not agree with what code they should be. I follow guidance and regs, the company that did my parents did not follow guidance and regs so coded what they though it should be.
I have to admit that I also think the code they gave should be what they stated even if they are nor following guidance and regs.

my personal opinion is lighting without rcd protection should be C2, but under current guidance and regs it is C3.

Reply to EICR Certs - NICEIC registration in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net