Discuss EICR code for communal area in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

newfutile

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
During a inspection and test of low rise flats communal area i found the door entry system has single insulated and possibly touchable conductors or terminals .

in the past i have coded these either C1 or C2 depending on live conductors being touchable.

they have now built a large wooden cabinet around all of the various transformers and other extra low voltage equipment.

i though i ask the collective intelligence here what code if any i should give?

Attachments

• 4B3FC746-0D46-48D4-A982-3A0E6F4BA84E.jpeg
    418.6 KB · Views: 34
  • 703B13FC-F3D9-406D-90FE-42654857DEB4.jpeg
    463.4 KB · Views: 35
That's a right old dogs dinner, even if it 'just' mostly comms and low DC. Accordingly, I suggest taking a blow torch to the whole lot and seeing if it catches fire - C1 right there.

Otherwise, if it's contained out of reach within a cabinet which requires either a key or tool to access it then I'd suggest it's (sadly) largely compliant so a no-code.

I am thinking that the low voltage stuff (extra low) is still covered by BS7671
it is unsupported (all of the wiring is not secured correctly)

The power supplies are Highley likely to be installed not in accordance to manufacturers instructions
could possibly have an issue with single insulated cables that are not all rated to the highest voltage in the system. (cat 5 cables are not normally rated for 230v)
C3 easy to justify
C2 i think with some careful reading could be justified but you would have to be quite specific about the issues.

Obviously the person who installed it is unlikely to know what they did anything wrong with that installation, even though most of us are struggling to find something they did right!

Reply to EICR code for communal area in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net