Discuss EICR Code for switch in bathroom. in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I've just completed an EICR and found a switch for towel rail in bathroom. It is located outside zones.
There is no RCD on this circuit, this is coded elsewhere.
My first thought was as located within 3M, Reg 701.512.3 code C2
But upon reading reg properly it specifically refers to sockets. I can't find anything for switches outside zones. So I can't see how to code, other than no code. But this then is same as light switch outside zones.
Any thoughts, I think I'm missing something, wet fingers on switches is never gonna end well?

The same, if it’s out of zone and no evidence of water ingress then I wouldn’t worry about it tho I do always put them outside.
Obviously they are for functional switching but I’m fairly certain people switch off the switch with wet hands anyway without any ill effects.

I failed my assessment on this a few years ago, he made me move outside bathroom before passing me! Has this changed in 18th Edition

The concept around this is not just operating a switch with wet hands, but also the vulnerability of the operator using the switch, being wet after showing etc, and in bare feet. If the said switch is out of zones, then that is unlikely to happen. However, in most domestic bathrooms, I would suggest switches should be installed outside the bathroom, unless you have one like Trumps.

What about if it was a light switch?

If you are suggesting that because wet hands operating the light switch making it less compliant than the fused spur,I best encourage my Mrs to operate that kitchen switch more often when she's doing the dishes :)

I would agree that if there is no sign of water ingress it would not be a problem and for me it would not even get a mention

I failed my assessment on this a few years ago, he made me move outside bathroom before passing me! Has this changed in 18th Edition
Then you were diddled. If this had happened to me, I would have passed my Regs to my assessor and asked him to find me a Reg that says you can't install a switch in a bathroom (outside the zones). I've also looked in the Building Regs Approved Documents, and other guidance, and drawn a blank. It's one of those mythical things that few are comfortable doing, and many outright think is wrong.

Reply to EICR Code for switch in bathroom. in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net