Discuss EICR Code for working RCD with non-functioning test button in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

As a matter of interest in the above scenario how would you justify that. What would be the likely danger? The test button does not work what harm can result from that?

You're giving them too much credit Tel, Scousers will just use cardboard boxes ?
that's just the posh ones . most Scousers settle for a body bag and a sea burial (dumped in the Mersey on the ebb tide).

As a matter of interest in the above scenario how would you justify that. What would be the likely danger? The test button does not work what harm can result from that?
Well as it would have been tested an FI wouldn't be required.
A C1 is out of the question - unless their were other circumstances.
A C3 would in all honesty be forgotten about - "Improvement recommended" I couldn't live with that if the future failure led to a possible death.
So C2 it is, from then on its out of my hands and up to the person receiving the report to do something about it.
If it stuck once, it will more than likely stick again.
Everyone to their own.

whatever you do, do not bin the RCD with the non working test button, with 65 posts, it has achieved celebrity status and will get a guest invitation to Loose Women,then a knighthood for being absolutely useless.

Well as I said above, I had a sticking test button and the RCD did not work on test. Once I had manually operated it, it worked and has been checked since and still works. Maybe I should have replaced then? After all it was a bit old, Merlin Gerin.

Well as I said above, I had a sticking test button and the RCD did not work on test. Once I had manually operated it, it worked and has been checked since and still works. Maybe I should have replaced then? After all it was a bit old, Merlin Gerin.
just shows that it's important to test by pressing the --- on a regular basis. i still recommend shorter interlvals than 6 months. i have a feeling that the 6 month requirement came in as customers could synchronise it with resetting the clocks twice a year. another case of pandering to numpties above safety.

just shows that it's important to test by pressing the --- on a regular basis. i still recommend shorter interlvals than 6 months. i have a feeling that the 6 month requirement came in as customers could synchronise it with resetting the clocks twice a year. another case of pandering to numpties above safety.
Six monthly is a common recommendation around the world. As you suggest when the clocks change is the logical time to do this. Although if the so-called EU has its way then it's hard to know when to recommend. Not too sure why we had the quarterly recommendation in the past.

Not too sure why we had the quarterly recommendation in the past.
For outdoor ones with a dedicated RCD, or plug adaptors, it was always a case of "test before use" so you have high confidence it is still working.

So presumably it started with a debate on how long between testing for board-mounted RCDs to gave acceptable fault detection given the move from dedicated outdoor sockets/adaptors to the widespread use of them on all domestic socket circuits. I have seen some RCDs that say test monthly, but that is just not going to be done, and other say "test regularly" but don't always say what that means (to give wriggle room in court?).

Reply to EICR Code for working RCD with non-functioning test button in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock